Author Topic: C9ZZ-2B022-A Brake Booster Gasket  (Read 4481 times)

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
C9ZZ-2B022-A Brake Booster Gasket
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:58:45 PM »
Does anyone know what a C9ZZ-2B022-A brake-booster-to-firewall gasket looks like when installed?  I've seen a picture of some remnants on my CJ forum, but I'm hoping that someone might have a different picture from a low mileage original car.  The Osborn assembly manual includes an illustration that seems to suggest that a good bit of gasket material should be visible on one side of the booster.  I'm looking into reproducing the gasket and I'm trying to confirm both the shape and surface texture.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: C9ZZ-2B022-A Brake Booster Gasket
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:15:39 PM »
Most of these are from 70's but hopefully they will help in some way

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sah62

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:42:08 AM »
Wow, that's interesting - the shape I see in the pictures doesn't match the shape shown in the MPC, assembly manual, or the Ford engineering drawing I have.  I take it that there's no gasket material visible when the booster is installed, correct?  It also looks like the gasket doesn't extend out to the mounting hole at upper right - am I seeing that correctly?  Does the gasket appear to be affixed with adhesive?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:08:38 AM by sah62 »
Scott Hollenbeck
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:40:58 PM »
That is the type I have always found as well . It is hard to distinguish if anything is there. Maybe a small edge of foam peaking out  on the edges . Normally they are sealed to the firewall with sound deadner like everything else that came through the firewall (wiring,screws,heater motor etc.) and with the build up of sealer material it is hard to distinguish any kind of gasket in place.Just some of my observations. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 07:51:17 PM »
Like Bob - my observations are that they extend just a little past the mounting base and that edge often is coated with sealant, gets brittle and breaks off in little, irregular pieces or dissolves.

Often, out in the center, the stuff is either dry and brittle or moist and partially dissolved from something. Possibly from a brake fluid leak
Jeff Speegle

Offline sah62

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:51:31 PM »
What do you make of the upper right corner?  It appears that the gasket didn't extend to the bolt hole/edge in the pictures.

I guess I have a decision to make.  I can reproduce the part as shown in the assembly manual (picture attached), or I can trace the shape as shown in the pics above and reproduce the gasket to match.  Which approach would be better from a judging perspective?  If I go with the assembly manual shape (which agrees with an engineering drawing I've seen) there's going to be a bit of material extending out on the sides.
Scott Hollenbeck
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:46:32 PM »
What do you make of the upper right corner?  It appears that the gasket didn't extend to the bolt hole/edge in the pictures.

I guess I have a decision to make.  I can reproduce the part as shown in the assembly manual (picture attached), or I can trace the shape as shown in the pics above and reproduce the gasket to match.  Which approach would be better from a judging perspective?  If I go with the assembly manual shape (which agrees with an engineering drawing I've seen) there's going to be a bit of material extending out on the sides.
Scott, my vote would be the way the picture Jeff posted shows. You could certainly make a case for the way the engineering drawing shows but there would be a lot of unnecessary controversy constantly proving your point IMHO. You also run the risk of finding out later some definitive documented proof that the other more widely recognized design like Jeff's picture was predominantly used. I know a lot of other restorers,judges,enthusiasts that  wouldn't think twice if they saw something like Jeff's photo because that has been widely excepted for many years. If on the other hand they saw a gasket with a lot of extra exposed material like the drawing seems to indicate it would at the very least raise some eyebrows. The foam gasket is a known used gasket the other is proven on engineering paper only(at least not as prevalent). I think less overall risk using the foam gasket IMHO. Just my observations for what ever their worth. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 01:09:03 AM »
I always go with what we find on cars over what we find in drawings - that may or may not have made it into production. Also consider, in order to save time, draftsmen will often just duplicate another sub drawing rather than draw another more exact drawing. 

Just sent a week of 6-10 hr days redrawing Ford stuff... can see why they would look towards generic rather than specific drawings for every application . And I have it easy - I just cut and paste. ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline rmaginnis

• December 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 03:17:06 AM »

Gasket is cut following the 'yellow' permiter. It wouldn't seal properly if it didnt' meet the perimiter of the entire booster mounting flange.
Rick

Rick Maginnis
April, '70 Dearborn Boss 302
0F02G18xxxx

Offline sah62

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 09:41:35 PM »
I now have reproduction gaskets on-hand and for sale.  There's more info in the "parts for sale" forum:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=962.0

Thanks for everyone's help in pulling this together.  The pictures were very helpful.
Scott Hollenbeck
(more non-Ford stuff)