Author Topic: 1970 Mach 1 rocker moulding/Side cladding Main Thread  (Read 13415 times)

Offline Bongoman

1970 Mach 1 rocker moulding/Side cladding Main Thread
« on: March 22, 2010, 07:38:24 PM »
I'm attempting to restore my 1970 Mach 1.  The rocker moulding with the "Mach 1" on it is painted a semi gloss black.  I understand this is incorrect.  What is the correct color for these pieces? 

Also, I've read one or two posted regarding whether the body color paint should be "blacked-out" in the small areas between the end of the moulding and the wheel wells.  Based on my car coming from the San Jose plant and built in January 1970, can anyone tell me if my car originally came with these areas blacked out?

Last question: The Mach 1 moulding is in good shape but the chrome piece in the top of the passenger side door panel needs to be replaced.  Does anyone know where to get the chrome piece without having to buy an entire Mach ! moulding set?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BongoMan
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 07:57:09 PM by J_Speegle »
BongoMan

1970 Mustang Mach 1
351c2v
Serial no. 0R05H130405
Built 1/14/70 at San Jose

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Mach 1 rocker moulding color?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 10:54:36 PM »
I'm attempting to restore my 1970 Mach 1.  The rocker moulding with the "Mach 1" on it is painted a semi gloss black.  I understand this is incorrect.  What is the correct color for these pieces? 

The color is called Dark Argent - same color used on the grill trim

Also, I've read one or two posted regarding whether the body color paint should be "blacked-out" in the small areas between the end of the moulding and the wheel wells.  Based on my car coming from the San Jose plant and built in January 1970, can anyone tell me if my car originally came with these areas blacked out?

Yes and no. Never seen the fender or quarter panels blacked out at the end of the trim on cars like yours. But - it would have been blacked out between the lower and upper quarter panel trim, front of the rocker panel and rear edge of the front fender. The rear quarter panel black out was typically sprayed and the forward details were brushed. Also rocker panel black out was typically higher on Mach I's that year.

Sorry don't know where to get the trim piece you asked about - maybe someone else can help
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bongoman

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:59:06 PM »
Thanks Jeff! 

Regarding the Dark Agrent, is it available from paint suppliers?  I read a post by someone who said it needed to be custom mixed.  I also just found this link that claims to sell it in rattle cans:  http://www.metropartsmarket.com/catalog/classicmustangparts-c25s5.html

Regarding the black-out around the Mach 1 rocker mouldings, between your answer and the pictures you posted in response to imnutz a couple of months ago, I think I understand where the blackout should go.

What do you mean by the statement "Also rocker panel black out was typically higher on Mach 1's that year."?  Are you referring to the black out in the door opening sometimes going all the way up to the sill?  Or something else?

Many thanks for your assistance. 

BongoMan
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:43:56 PM by Bongoman »
BongoMan

1970 Mustang Mach 1
351c2v
Serial no. 0R05H130405

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 01:03:10 AM »
Thanks Jeff! 

Regarding the Dark Agrent, is it available from paint suppliers?  I read a post by someone who said it needed to be custom mixed.  I also just found this link that claims to sell it in rattle cans:  http://www.metropartsmarket.com/catalog/classicmustangparts-c25s5.html

Haven't tried that paint from them but it might be worth a try and would, if it's usable, be a cost saver. If not, then you will have to deal with having some made up for a spray gun

What do you mean by the statement "Also rocker panel black out was typically higher on Mach 1's that year."?  Are you referring to the black out in the door opening sometimes going all the way up to the sill?  Or something else?

It appear from pictures of original cars that on Mach Is - that year, that plant that the pinch weld black out did not end on the horizontal surface (like typical through the years)) but was extended up higher to under where the lower panel would attach
Jeff Speegle

Offline Hellcat6

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:38:04 PM »
NPD also sells Dark Argent in a spray can.
Drew Maser
66 GT Fastback - Emberglo, San Jose
70 Mach I - Calypso Coral, Metuchen

Offline Bongoman

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:28:34 AM »
Just as a follow up to my questions:

Regarding the chrome on the top of the Mach 1 rocker panel molding, I found that Mustangs Unlimited sells a set of all six chrome pieces.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=M71767+01&Category=&catkey=EMUSTANG

Too bad I only need one of the six pieces.   :(

Regarding the dark argent color of the rocker panel molding, I found another seller of the paint in a rattle can.  Again, Mustangs Unlimited.  They call it "charcoal finish" paint but say it's specifically for Mach 1 rocker molding and 65-67 wheels. 

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=A5000+01&Category=&catkey=EMUSTANG

Again, thanks for all the information.

Bongoman
BongoMan

1970 Mustang Mach 1
351c2v
Serial no. 0R05H130405

Offline wjgrnp

1970 Mach I Side Cladding Details
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 02:19:51 AM »
Hi
I am a little confused when it comes to the correct color for the Rocker Panel Mouldings on my Yellow Mach 1.
My research has confirmed that the Left and Right front Panels are "Dark Argent", however all other panels on my vehicle are Black.
Are all pieces supposed to be Dark Argent or just the front pieces? Was it the same for all colors?
It is difficult to find examples here in Australia to compare with.
Thank you
Ward
70 Mach 1 428 CJ with AC and C6
3.25 with Truetrac limited slip
Metuchen
December 30 1969
Yellow

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1970 Mach I Side Cladding Details
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 02:40:38 AM »
Hi
I am a little confused when it comes to the correct color for the Rocker Panel Mouldings on my Yellow Mach 1.
My research has confirmed that the Left and Right front Panels are "Dark Argent", however all other panels on my vehicle are Black.
Are all pieces supposed to be Dark Argent or just the front pieces? Was it the same for all colors?
It is difficult to find examples here in Australia to compare with.
Thank you
Ward
Many get repainted with black so maybe yours have too. All of the pieces should match. Dark argent is the typical of what I have found on several survivor types I have observed . I have only noticed a dozen or so because this is not my field of study so others may have different input.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 06:00:48 PM »
Many get repainted with black so maybe yours have too. All of the pieces should match. Dark argent is the typical......................

+1   Originally painted Dark Argent
Jeff Speegle

Offline wjgrnp

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »
Thank you for the conformation.
What other parts were also painted Dark Argent?
Thank you
Ward
Metuchen
December 30 1969
Yellow

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 09:28:47 PM »
What other parts were also painted Dark Argent?

Off the top of my head.

- Mach I side molding/cladding
- Grill
- Styled steel wheels
- Possibly the sport wheel covers/hubcap center
- Sport light covers
- Headlight surrounds

On original cars you can find slight variations between the finishes of these parts. May be due to differences in the batches they were sprayed from (painted different places, different days, different batches) or from being exposed to the elements differently

A fairly close mix if your shooting from a gun
PPG/Ditzler Medium Gray Poly DDL33053

Believe most of the part suppliers carry their versions in rattle cans

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Offline wjgrnp

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 11:36:06 PM »
Thanks Jeff
Unfortunately I can't purchase the cans out of the usa because of shipping restrictions.
I will have a local shop mix in accordance with your recommendation.
Another post suggested that the rear honeycombe panel was also Dark Argent.
Are you able to confirm this
Thank you
Ward
Metuchen
December 30 1969
Yellow

Offline fla2005

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 09:12:18 AM »
If you ever see a 1970 Mach 1, rare Chestnut Metallic exterior, it is done correctly.  Last I heard it was in Queensland. Color matching should help you.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »
Another post suggested that the rear honeycombe panel was also Dark Argent.
Are you able to confirm this

Knew I would miss one - will add it to the list above.

Remember that the factory had a similar (to the side moulding) method to blacking out the taillight panel behind and around that panel also
Jeff Speegle

Offline wjgrnp

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 06:26:41 AM »
Thank you for the feed back
Ward
Metuchen
December 30 1969
Yellow