Author Topic: Borescope  (Read 6878 times)

Offline rodster

Borescope
« on: September 25, 2014, 04:51:31 PM »
Picked one of these up at the recommendation of another car guy and can see many useful purposes. Checking connections behind a dash, hidden part numbers, cylinder wall examination, etc etc.

Both attached pictures were in locations next to impossible to see.

Price is hard to beat but one person has had bad luck getting a good one.  Mine worked with no problem.

The camera end is straight so a bit difficult to look at something 90° otherwise very handy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181461861229?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hopefully this doesn't take Concours judging to a whole new level!  ;D
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Borescope
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »
Hadn't seen these before - that's cheap.... guess I'll pick up a couple and a telescopic mast and holder. Might make visualizing the welds in the front quarter panel and roof line easier during inspections. Sure the next version will have video feed

Wonder how long before Harbor Freight has them on their shelves ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:30:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:56:57 PM »
     Won't be long before California will require a warning label.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline rodster

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 10:24:09 PM »
Hadn't seen these before - that's cheap.... guess I'll pick up a couple and a telescopic mast and holder. Might make visualizing the welds in the front quarter panel and roof line easier during inspections. Sure the next version will have video feed

Oh yea, this one has video capability too.  ;)
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 07:34:07 AM »
I bought one, it should save time inspecting for leaks, finding dropped sockets, nuts/bolts etc. on all cars. I figure affixing it to a mast. (like Jeff suggested, like a typical magnetic nut/bolt retrieval tool only with an "eye" on where you are going)

Has to be worth the cost if it saves just like 10 minutes of time on one job. How many times did I go fishing in the dark with only a magnet?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:37:46 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 08:58:37 AM »

Not exactly the same, but it doesn't require a PC to drive it: http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-67979.html
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:15:19 AM »
Never thought I would ever say this but that Harbor Freight one looks a lot nicer
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
Not exactly the same, but it doesn't require a PC to drive it: http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-67979.html

Looked at those - looks like they don't have the reach I would need in many situations, much larger to travel with and a little more of a pain in the carry on luggage for plant trips ;)

Have one of the others (deluxe model) coming - will try and find a telescoping arm and holder to mount it too. Maybe convert one from a collapsing magnetic pick up tool. Should be handy for reaching down the full length of quarter panels from the trunk, inside frame rails  or up into roof lines if it works out. Could have used it yesterday
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 01:37:55 AM »
Looked at those - looks like they don't have the reach I would need in many situations, much larger to travel with and a little more of a pain in the carry on luggage for plant trips ;)

Have one of the others (deluxe model) coming - will try and find a telescoping arm and holder to mount it too. Maybe convert one from a collapsing magnetic pick up tool. Should be handy for reaching down the full length of quarter panels from the trunk, inside frame rails  or up into roof lines if it works out. Could have used it yesterday
Ordered one too. Hope it works.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 12:05:07 PM »
OK, I may be slow at a few things...I got mine in today, I cannot seem to figure out these (basic) instructions.

Any of you computer geeks hae any ideas?  tried the CD, I plugged it in...I cannot see anything occur even if I try to open or run through my control panel. Here is an image of the instructions:

Richard
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:11:30 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rodster

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 12:34:39 PM »
OK, I may be slow at a few things...I got mine in today, I cannot seem to figure out these (basic) instructions.

Any of you computer geeks hae any ideas?  tried the CD, I plugged it in...I cannot see anything occur even if I try to open or run through my control panel. Here is an image of the instructions:

Richard

Gotta love the vague instructions!  ;)

When plugging the borescope into a USB port for the first time, the computer should see it and set it up.

Then you need to:

Copy the files from the CD into a new folder.
In the new folder you will see two .exe files.
Double click on one of them (RsCap2.10.exe is for video capture)

When the program starts and the window pops up, you may have to choose the borescope from the Devices on the Menu bar.

At least that the way it works on my laptop running Windows 7.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »
Gotta love the vague instructions!  ;)

When plugging the borescope into a USB port for the first time, the computer should see it and set it up.

Then you need to:

Copy the files from the CD into a new folder.
In the new folder you will see two .exe files.
Double click on one of them (RsCap2.10.exe is for video capture)

When the program starts and the window pops up, you may have to choose the borescope from the Devices on the Menu bar.

At least that the way it works on my laptop running Windows 7.

OK, I copied the files (all 4) to my desktop with a shortcut and it shows RsCap2.10 though it doesn't have the ".exe" on the end

If I try and open them (double click) I get error messages :(
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
Never mind, I changed USB locations and it installed the software, that didn't occur the first time around or the 2nd try in the same USB port

Thanks...Got it going now!

Richard
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:06:33 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »
OK, what really would make this DYNOMITE would be finding a way to run it on a smart phone.

Who wishes to accept the challenge?  Taking the laptop on-site for all possibly uses might be risky if a table cannot be set up close by. Thinking the monitor on most smart phones is more than adequate to capture the images needed. (OK Voyeurs, behave yourselves)

Richard
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
OK, what really would make this DYNOMITE would be finding a way to run it on a smart phone.

I want a bigger screen - will be using with the notebook I travel with. Haven't played/tested mine yet - will be interesting to see the range and how hard it will be to get a good picture in focus with one. Can see allot of shaky pictures and videos
Jeff Speegle