Author Topic: "how to"remove tiny pitting chrome radio bezel(67) ?  (Read 3000 times)

Offline gimpystoy

"how to"remove tiny pitting chrome radio bezel(67) ?
« on: October 08, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »
I'm seeking suggestions on removing/polishing numerous tiny raised pits on  my radio bezel. I've tried the following

ultra fine steel wool

Turtle wax come polish
 Autosol

Simichrome
I haven't tried Coke yet.
I'm trying to do this while it' still installed. It's the large flat area underneath .
I realize my last resort is to take it off and try to find someone with a buffing wheel and buff w white jewelers rouge.
TY,
Gimpy
67 C code Metuchen, May "67" build 289 C4

Offline RocketScientist

Re: "how to"remove tiny pitting chrome radio bezel(67) ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 10:48:09 AM »
These raised pits are very tricky as they are caused by corrosion of the underlying die-cast metal. If you want to smooth them down to a flat surface, then you run the risk of breaking through the top layer of plating and that makes it much worse, probably destroying the aesthetics of the piece. With some pieces, if the bumps are small, a really good polish can work as the part is becomes very shiny which masks the imperfections. It hides things from a long distance but they still show under close scrutiny. For some parts you can sand them back and have them replated and but due to the cost and effort involved sometimes its better to source a replacement.

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:51:42 AM »
It looks like replacement may be in the future. I'll have to decide how bad it really looks.

If someone buys 66 glove box door I have listed in Sale section I can put $ towards replacement
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:54:37 AM by gimpystoy »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 02:15:27 PM »
I'm seeking suggestions on removing/polishing numerous tiny raised pits on  my radio bezel. I've tried the following

+1 on Rocketman's answer.

Do you have console or non-console?

I have a couple non-console bezels, one is aftermarket but looks fine (needs some black repainted), other is OE but has minor pitting, no bubbles as I recall, also could use some black repainted.

Console ones are notorious to go bad in the brushed aluminum looking area particularly. Good luck with that problem short of a whole console replacement at $1K on aftermarket with yet to be discussed anywhere, potential of not looking or fitting correctly... OR pay $300-$600 on used originals in rough or rougher condition than you already have. Ask me how I know, go ahead...If you have a non-console, (please, trying to sound humorous here) quit your whining  :'( I could only DREAM of it being that easy to deal with! Those re-pops seem to all fit good and look great, just make sure you buy a metal one as I understand some are plastic.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:18:05 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 06:24:18 PM »
Richard Thanks v-much. Non-consol. it's a # C8ZZ18842A. I'll try to post pic's soon so you can tell me if I'm over obsessing  Smileys/default/grin.gif

Gimpy
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:36:58 PM by gimpystoy »

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:53:50 PM »
pictures of pits

The car  will be a Driver.
How bad are these? Opinions?
Gimpy

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:35:05 PM »
I "patched" one up with chrome model airplane paint. There wasn't as many pits as you have and all I did was scrape them flat and put a dap of paint in the spots. The results were mixed but it was a driver too.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 08:38:56 PM »
Jim: Thanks
 I might give that a shot this weekend