Author Topic: trunk seam sealer  (Read 2775 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

trunk seam sealer
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »
What products have people used to do the thick black yuc of seam sealer? Along where the wheelhouse and trunk dropoff are.
Thanks Chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: trunk seam sealer
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:37:43 PM »
What products have people used to do the thick black yuc of seam sealer? Along where the wheelhouse and trunk dropoff are.
Thanks Chris

What year and plant?  There are a number of different products, application methods and final looks depending on when and where ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:32:39 PM »
I am just asking generally speaking, what products might be used. My user name tells I don't have a mustang.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:58:56 PM »
I am just asking generally speaking, what products might be used. My user name tells I don't have a mustang.

OK - for some years and plants I've used black smooth elastomeric sealant from the chalking tubes - applied then spread with a thinner dipped brash with 3/4 of the length of the bristles cut off. For other plants and years - I've used Sludge applied with e brush or Wurth and Lord Fusion shot with their applicators/guns.

Just depends on the final look I've going for since some were just a bead of sealant- sometimes sealant applied and rubbed with a solvent dipped rag while others were sprayed

The trunk drop offs and wheel houses were only sealed where the two came together in the trunk and the trunk drop section of the passenger and drivers side trunk floors were not sealed except, some plants and times, on the outer, inner (gas tank side) surface over the primer sealer, over (well that was the idea) the spot welds between that panel and the quarter panel. That was normally applied from a gun (chalking) then spray with a wet rag to about 3/4-1" wide  like the rocker to floor seams most years
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:22:52 PM »
Thanks, the midsize fords had a heavy spray pattern at the wheelwell to trunk dropoff seam. Must of been one heck of a spray wand, high volume, low pressure.
Chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »
Thanks, the midsize fords had a heavy spray pattern at the wheelwell to trunk dropoff seam. Must of been one heck of a spray wand, high volume, low pressure.
Chris

These examples sort of look spread, but I've only owned a half dozen or so unrestored ones. Never restored any though

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=190;u=6
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:25:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle