Author Topic: IDLER ARM Component "FINISH"  (Read 1946 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
IDLER ARM Component "FINISH"
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:28:18 AM »
This may be a 67-68 topic, (move topic if so) but it could be considered multi-year coverage so I began it here.

I am installing new bushings in an OE Idler arm and wondered what finishes each of the parts and pieces ought to be.

If it matters, it is a San Jose, 11/2/66 build date and the car has power steering.

1.) Finish of the Idler Arm Portion: (bare steel? or Gun Bluing?)
2.) Finish of the Support Arm <bolts to frame>: (bare steel? or Gun Bluing?)
3.) Finish of bushings <before pressing into place>: (bare steel? light or dark coloring?)
4.) Finish of Locking Nut: (Phosphate & Oil?)

Also could use a suggested way of "Re-Crushing" the threaded area beyond the nut once it is torqued.

Thanks.

Richard

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: IDLER ARM Component "FINISH"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 08:30:21 PM »
This may be a 67-68 topic, (move topic if so) but it could be considered multi-year coverage so I began it here.

Think this will work as a generic part where the finishes apply across many of the sub groups so will leave it here until reason not to ;)

I am installing new bushings in an OE Idler arm and wondered what finishes each of the parts and pieces ought to be.

If it matters, it is a San Jose, 11/2/66 build date and the car has power steering.

1.) Finish of the Idler Arm Portion: (bare steel? or Gun Bluing?)

Both - bare heat treated steel so its a darker than straight cast iron. Gun bluing can be used to achieve that look besides other methods

2.) Finish of the Support Arm <bolts to frame>: (bare steel? or Gun Bluing?)

Same as above

3.) Finish of bushings <before pressing into place>: (bare steel? light or dark coloring?)

I've see a bright zinc if I recall correctly on original bushings

4.) Finish of Locking Nut: (Phosphate & Oil?)

Its a heat treated nut either P & O or gun bluing can be used to get you to an acceptable look
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: IDLER ARM Component "FINISH"
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:35:38 PM »
Thanks Jeff, Having only seen NOS recently, I didn't wish to match only to them since many line parts are often different than service replacements.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments