Author Topic: '67 fastback original style headliner installation  (Read 2625 times)

Offline socalgt

'67 fastback original style headliner installation
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:44:51 PM »
Am I correct that both the windshield and the rear glass need to be removed to install a new, original style headliner?

Thanks...

Offline jwc66k

Re: '67 fastback original style headliner installation
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 12:11:21 AM »
The factory installed the headliner before the windshield or rear glass. That being said, a real good installer can put in a headliner without removing the glass. I had two 66 headliners (Fastback and a Hardtop) installed without the glass removed. My secret installer was one of the San Jose assembly line workers that did headliners before he retired. I saw it done, and it's a lot of technique, tools and skill, but it can be done.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 01:20:40 AM »
Would never consider a glue & tuck job on one of my cars.

Though many have chosen that route. Repaired/replaced a number of them :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies.....can the headliner be re-colored/dyed?  I'm asking because the headliner is in fine condition, but the wrong color.  I'm guessing going from black to parchment wouldn't be easy, if even possible.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:37:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies.....can the headliner be re-colored/dyed?  I'm asking because the headliner is in fine condition, but the wrong color.  I'm guessing going from black to parchment wouldn't be easy, if even possible.

I wouldn't consider a color change on a USED headliner for ANY reason. It would be impossible to get it cleaned good enough to hold the dye.

For anyone else reading this that might not be able to get the exact "right color" replacement but can get a new, CLOSE match, that is a different situation. The headliner can be dyed like any other vinyl and it will hold up very well. I've had it done before,  it works best after the new headliner is installed and before all of the other interior trim is in, be sure to do a good masking job for the overspray. The guy who did mine back in '79 didn't mask very well  >:( Otherwise it held up very well for over 30 years  :D
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 04:12:02 PM »
I have never seen a '67 fastback with a headliner that continued to the backlight seal from Ford. However, my Dec '66 manufactured 1967 Shelby had a tack strip under the roof trim.
As for dyeing, I have tried it once. The texture fills in and it's all but impossible to get the dye to adhere. Especially in a vehicle that was owned by a smoker. Just my experience, for what it's worth. 
                                                                                    -Keith