Author Topic: The balancing of pulleys  (Read 1324 times)

Offline dbenichou289

The balancing of pulleys
« on: October 25, 2018, 04:53:11 PM »
Was this a common practice by Ford or just done to specific, high performance engines?

I have a 429 water pump pulley that has the balancing marks on the pulley and I don't recall seeing these things on other pulleys in general.
'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion (appeared in Mustang Monthly Feb 2017)
'90 LX 5.0L

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: The balancing of pulleys
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 05:49:21 PM »
Was this a common practice by Ford or just done to specific, high performance engines?

I have a 429 water pump pulley that has the balancing marks on the pulley and I don't recall seeing these things on other pulleys in general.
I have seen it on some but not many . It is not that common from what I have seen on the factory pulley's performance engine or not. Many of the multi groove different size pulley's are a combination of different pulleys welded together . Those are the ones I have most often seen the balancing marks on. I have assumed the likely hood of mis balance is more common with the welded together multi size pulley's given those are the ones I have mostly seen the balancing marks on. I have seen the marks on others but not as much in comparison.  Just my observations and opinion. Others may have different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 08:12:33 PM »
+2 found some examples on crank shaft pulleys.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline dbenichou289

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:53:55 PM »
Yeah, I have noticed on occasion the balancing marks on the multi-size pulleys (and figured it was due to the welding), but never paid attention to the single size pulleys until this one.  Makes me think, or wonder, that Ford had a special application for this and wanted it to be precise.  Its a one-piece dual groove pulley.
'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion (appeared in Mustang Monthly Feb 2017)
'90 LX 5.0L

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 06:12:51 PM »
Yeah, I have noticed on occasion the balancing marks on the multi-size pulleys (and figured it was due to the welding), but never paid attention to the single size pulleys until this one.  Makes me think, or wonder, that Ford had a special application for this and wanted it to be precise.  Its a one-piece dual groove pulley.
Sounds like a good story to tell to explain it when someone notices regardless if true or not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby