Author Topic: Antenna Rattle  (Read 18931 times)

Offline IndyFive-O

Antenna Rattle
« on: April 24, 2015, 10:20:31 PM »
Has anyone come up with a way to stop the repop antenna's from rattling?

This thing is driving me crazy.
1967 289 Coupe "Sports Sprint"
2007 GT/CS

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Antenna Rattle
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 10:22:52 PM »
only way i know of is to use nos antenna. i have found radio reception poor on the repops.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 11:28:45 PM »
Take a pair of pliers and dent in the mast, squeezing the inner section.   :o

Likely will not extend  -  but it will stop rattling. Just another less than perfect reproduction
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline IndyFive-O

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:09:06 PM »
Take a pair of pliers and dent in the mast, squeezing the inner section.   :o

Likely will not extend  -  but it will stop rattling. Just another less than perfect reproduction

I would actually consider doing this since I don't extend it anyway. Wouldn't kinking it cause it to bend it that spot - make it weak?
2007 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:12:07 PM »
I would actually consider doing this since I don't extend it anyway. Wouldn't kinking it cause it to bend it that spot - make it weak?

If your really going to be forced into that extreme You might consider drilling a small hole and injecting some epoxy or another sealant that would isolate and insulate the middle shafts from the outer. But yes deforming the outer will cause a kink that would be very noticeable
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline IndyFive-O

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 08:22:19 PM »
Took a look at the antenna today and saw that it is rattling at the top of each section, where the above section enters.
I put a drop of clear glue where the rattle is and it stopped making noise. I am not sure how long it will last, and really don't care as I realize it's only temporary. I don't extend the antenna anyway and if I have to put a drop of glue on the antenna a few times a year, I will,  it's worth it not to hear that cheap sound rattle every time I close a door or the hood.
2007 GT/CS

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 05:14:03 AM »
Why is it so hard for the folks that make the repros make them so they don't rattle????? (stupid!)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 02:23:12 PM »
Has anyone come up with a way to stop the repop antenna's from rattling?

This thing is driving me crazy.
Only sure fire way is to switch it out with a genuine one. Besides the obvious remark I have noticed some of the newer repros don't rattle as much as previous versions .But they still are more loose then genuine. I don't know the variety that I am seeing on various cars but if I were to guess I would guess it was a Drake one over the cheaper alternatives.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 11:28:10 AM »
I asked the Scott Drake folks on FaceBook if THEY had successfully made a rattle-free antenna, they replied that theirs was 99% rattle free......

I'm tempted to try one because I can't spend $500 for a NOS......

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 03:32:11 PM »
NOS antennas usually sell for $75-150 last time I looked, never seen one for more than $250.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 06:27:45 PM »
NOS antennas usually sell for $75-150 last time I looked, never seen one for more than $250.
I agree 500.00 is a price I haven't seen yet .With that said I typically see them in the 150-175.00 range . The problem is I have been looking for a couple months now and haven't found any even NOS ones at that or any price. Anyone see any let me know.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 09:00:20 PM »
I asked the Scott Drake folks on FaceBook if THEY had successfully made a rattle-free antenna, they replied that theirs was 99% rattle free......

I'm tempted to try one because I can't spend $500 for a NOS......
I'm tempted to say that you would end up with the one out of a hundred that does rattle... :P
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 12:58:13 PM »
Aren't the originals stuffed/packed with grease? seems I've heard that......

Is it possible to restore an original if one could be found?

Anyone try this?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 02:22:13 PM »
The problem with restoring an original is the top ball cap is usually chrome plated.  IIRC, the rest of the antenna is stainless, so usually can be buffed out.  If the ball can be cut off and replaced with a new one, could probably be done.  Might be something to consider if the NOS supply is drying up.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 03:22:36 PM »
The problem with restoring an original is the top ball cap is usually chrome plated.  IIRC, the rest of the antenna is stainless, so usually can be buffed out.  If the ball can be cut off and replaced with a new one, could probably be done.  Might be something to consider if the NOS supply is drying up.

The original antenna mast on my '70 Cougar seems to be chrome plated ~ it is starting to wear / flake off at the top of the main mast.  Maybe the inner masts were stainless though - i recall them having a bit different appearance, but haven't looked at them that closely.

As for the NOS prices and availability, the last few NOS cougar antennas ('69/'70) that I saw went for around $300 if they were auction style.  I did miss one with a buy now of $100.  Too slow :-/
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!