Author Topic: '67 & '68 289 power steering hose routing and rear pump brackets - differences  (Read 16983 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: '67 289 power steering hose routing
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 08:29:03 AM »
Regarding my earlier post about the '67 power steering hose indexing bracket.....I see it fits over the long bolt that the pump slides on in the picture that was previously posted... I assume the "hook" on the other end guides the pressure line hose to its' correct position?

The hook speeds installation and securing of the hoses since it goes in the lower hole in the bracket meaning the worker on the line only has one bolt to install and tighten

Did Jeff answer your question? I read it differently. Jeff seems to be answering the indexing "hinge" that is on the "D" shaped grommet bracket for the images supplied within THIS thread. I read your question as asking about the "indexing bracket" on the back of the power steering pump, but that you are reffering to images posted in another thread. Is that correct?

We need to be clear in our understanding, most notably because of images of incorrect "indexing" brackets which are on the backside of the power steering pump that have been recently posted in other threads, but were used along with disclaimers.

Socalgt, you are working on a 67 Small Block, correct? If I read this correctly, and I understood things as the written wording appears to me, your question I quoted within this post looks to be asking about a 68 style small block "indexing" bracket that attaches to the back side of the pump, you had in another thread mentioned seeing one available or having one available. Also, Jeff posted a clear picture in another thread of the backside of another style pump, with an indexing bracket pointing downwards. I beieve there has been some confusion now created by accident.

Bottom line is that on the backside of the power steering pump, a 67 SMALL BLOCK (289) uses a strap metal support bracket that DOES NOT incorporate an indexing support for the pressure hose. The pressure hose is simply aligned "by eye" pointing upwards,  to the filler tube of the pump.  However, for a 68 SB engines, again, on the backside of the power steering pump, the 68 small blocks DO have the indexing support for the pressure hose that cleary require the assembly worker to align it within the bracket.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:30:10 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 08:38:04 AM »
I will post a picture after I install it.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 08:48:31 AM »
Correct...I'm working on a '67 small block....you are also correct that I am working off a picture posted showing the bracket on the back of a pump on a '67...I believe I originally posted a picture of a '68, not realizing it is different than '67.  Any way, I will post a picture after I install the pump and bracket and see where we stand on "correctness".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:27:42 AM by socalgt »

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »
yes the previous post seen to be for only 67 ..i do somes research and i think i found the indexing bracket for a 289 68 ! suppose to look like this one ..if anyone have this bracket, i need one !!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:40:45 AM by mhubert89 »
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 09:14:22 AM »
Correct...I'm working on a '67 small block....you are also correct that I am working off a picture posted showing the bracket on the back of a pump on a '67...I believe I originally posted a picture of a '68, not realizing it is different than '67.  Any way, I will post a picture after I install the pump and bracket and see where we stand on "correctness".

I SEE THE BRACKET I AM LOOKING FOR in image #1! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Ok, well at least I have an image (un-installed) to use in my WTB post now! Anyone else who reads this, if you have one, PM me!

Next, and why I replied, regarding the power steering pump mounting bracket, (the aluminum one) this image is showing it is painted, it should be natural cast aluminum, without paint. If it were corroded or oxidized, closest natural-looking finish can be simulated by using a tumbler with the correct media. It will not be exact...but will look much better than painted (any color).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:01:13 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline socalgt

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »
I think there is currently a '68 bracket on Ebay if you're still looking.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »
I think there is currently a '68 bracket on Ebay if you're still looking.
The only one I see (on eBay right now) looks incorrect for a Mustang, shoots the pressure hose more or less horizontal, Mustang should go straight up for a small block, maybe for a full-sized sedan, pickup or the likes.
Richard Urch

Offline socalgt

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 04:30:56 PM »
I'll post some pics from behind the pump showing how the bracket attaches and(hopefully)does what it's supposed to...(which I think is to help align the pressure hose with the pump fitting)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 12:22:50 AM »
So.....let me see if I understand the consensus about the '67 small block p.s. pump(indexing)bracket....what exactly is its' purpose?.  When I mount my pump with the bracket in position, I guess it should be clear what it does(hopefully).  I haven't seen a picture of it from behind the pump.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 01:57:34 AM »
So.....let me see if I understand the consensus about the '67 small block p.s. pump(indexing)bracket....what exactly is its' purpose?.

Simply supporting the weight of the back half of the pump. Without something back there the pump would simply hang from just the pump support bolts.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 07:57:27 AM »
So.....let me see if I understand the consensus about the '67 small block p.s. pump(indexing)bracket....what exactly is its' purpose?.  When I mount my pump with the bracket in position, I guess it should be clear what it does(hopefully).  I haven't seen a picture of it from behind the pump.

It also absorbs vibrations, keeps things quieter, thus preventing the possibility of cracking any of the other brackets. Call it "overkill". Basically, other than being an original part pf the assembly, it would not be noticed if it were left out. I say this because mine was left out some time ago in history, and I didn't notice till I became aware it was gone in this forum.
Richard Urch

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 10:04:30 AM »
The only one I see (on eBay right now) looks incorrect for a Mustang, shoots the pressure hose more or less horizontal, Mustang should go straight up for a small block, maybe for a full-sized sedan, pickup or the likes.

dso you told me that the bracket i post with a picture its not the right bracket for my 68 ?
anybody have a 289 with a p/s and can take a picture of this bracket to help please !?
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 11:02:40 AM »
dso you told me that the bracket i post with a picture its not the right bracket for my 68 ?
anybody have a 289 with a p/s and can take a picture of this bracket to help please !?

Maybe a misunderstanding here? I believe the one you posted a picture of in reply #18 IS CORRECT for your car, a 68, NOT correct for my car, a 67 and I beleve the one mentioned for sale on ebay isn't correct for any Mustang (If I found the same listing on ebay socalgt mentioned)
Richard Urch

Offline socalgt

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
I understand now that I attach it....it extends to the back of the pump where the high pressure hose fitting on the pump to support the pump itself, as you said.  There is an extra nut there to attach it.

Thanks Again...

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »
Maybe a misunderstanding here? I believe the one you posted a picture of in reply #18 IS CORRECT for your car, a 68, NOT correct for my car, a 67 and I beleve the one mentioned for sale on ebay isn't correct for any Mustang (If I found the same listing on ebay socalgt mentioned)

oki perfect, just want ot make sure about my bracket too buy one !
thanks
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed