Author Topic: '67 289 alternator harness connection  (Read 12175 times)

Offline 196667Bob

Re: '67 289 alternator harness connection
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
Richard - Thanks for the info; however, as noted in my Reply # 11 of last night (early this morning), I sent my original off and had it professionally reproduced, exactly like my original.

Marty - Thanks for the pictures. My plug connector is exactly like yours, including correct color and positioning of the wires. However, the harness on the rear of the Alternator does look different. As you noted, it is hard to get a good picture of the harness on the car; but, it appears to me that I only see one rubber boot (possibly a faded red one ?). In addition, it looks like some kind of rectangular "block" at the top ?  Also, is there a separate wire from your Alternator to the Starter Solenoid ? Is this on a "non tach" car ?
Your picture now adds something else that I should have included in my original "list of questions"; since, as of January 1967, there were 3 Alternators (38, 42 and 55 Amp),shown as "correct" for 1967 289 Mustangs, did all use the same harness ? Another possible variable.
Finally, since yours and John's cars were built at the same Plant, and only a couple weeks apart, assuming that they had the same Alternator, and that there is no difference between a Convertible and Fastback Harness (at least no written evidence that I have seen), wouldn't it make sense that the harnesses should be the same ?

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 12:16:41 PM »
It is tough to get a good pic on the car but I believe this is original to this 11-04-66 SJ small block convertible.
Was the fuse holder connector original? What was the fuse protecting?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
Bob M, yes my car is a non-tach application.

I've picked up two oldie but goodie used 67 harnesses, one from eBay, and one from a Craigslist purchase, both about a year ago.

Attached are some pictures.  Referring to the two harness in the "side by side" comparison, with a "top" and "bottom" harness:

1. The three post connector at the wire harness connection are different.  The top harness has a white with black stripe connected to the center post, with a white to the outer male post.  The bottom harness has those two same colors, but they are flipped.  In this case, the rubber boots MUST have been color coded to prevent any mistakes.  Very strange.

2. The large gauge wire that connects to the relay is black with a yellow stripe on the top harness, and black with no stripe (unless it has worn off) on the bottom harness.

3. The large gauge wire that does what I'll call the cross over is black with a violet stripe on the top harness, and black with orange stripe on the bottom harness.

4. Two of the three rubber boots on the bottom harness appear to be color coded, one red, one white, based on remnants inside the boots.  On the top harness is it hard to tell.

5. The overall lengths compare well.  But as you can see in the side by side picture, the "take off" point for the three post connector is a few inches different comparing the two.
Richard - Thanks for the info; however, as noted in my Reply # 11 of last night (early this morning), I sent my original off and had it professionally reproduced, exactly like my original.

Marty -...
...Finally, since yours and John's cars were built at the same Plant, and only a couple weeks apart, assuming that they had the same Alternator, and that there is no difference between a Convertible and Fastback Harness (at least no written evidence that I have seen), wouldn't it make sense that the harnesses should be the same ?

Bob

For those reading along, keep in mind that John's examples (images posted earlier) are NOT ORIGINAL TO HIS December '66 Mustang!
Looking at everything I understand about this wiring as well as the wiring diagrams in the assembly manual (dated 2-24-67), it is entirely possible John's examples are from another Ford product, not necessarily taken from a Mustang. As we know, "function" isn't always "concours", so I would hope other readers follow examples close to their build info. (Bob M., I understand you know this already)

I also wish I could be of more help since my 11/2/66 S.J. built example has a tachometer, I can only speak to that option best. My examples need some "help" too, but I will likely be purchasing reproduction harnesses for the replacing mine. (read as including headlamp harness). Hopefully, the Alloy Metals versions I have seen, are "correct" enough in detail. I see there are tags available to use on them, unless instructed otherwise, that has been my plan.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:16:27 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 12:29:56 PM »
Was the fuse holder connector original? What was the fuse protecting?

Having seen Marty's car, I can add that the fuse holder is for the under hood lamp, and is original.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »
Having seen Marty's car, I can add that the fuse holder is for the under hood lamp, and is original.
Got it . I thought because of the subject discussed it had to do with the alternator harness or other side of Alt harness and was puzzled.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online 67gta289

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 01:27:16 PM »
Keep in mind that John's examples (images posted earlier) are NOT ORIGINAL TO HIS December '66 Mustang!
Looking at everything I understand about this wiring as well as the wiring diagrams in the assembly manual (dated 2-24-67), it is entirely possible John's examples are from another Ford product, not necessarily taken from a Mustang. As we know, "function" isn't always "concours", so I would hope other readers follow examples close to their build info. Richard

Richard, you are correct to stress that point.  All I have in anecdotal evidence at best.  On eBay the seller claimed it was from a 67 Mustang, and had other specific 67 Mustang parts for sale at the same time, appearing to have stripped a car.  But you never know.  For the Craigslist part, it was from a Mustang builder for 40 years finally hanging up his tools.  I bought a box of wiring that was all labeled as 67 or 68 Mustang, many of which is for certain based on the part number stickers.  But again, you never know.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 01:42:52 PM »
Richard - I realize that John's donor harnesses may not be correct for his car. Just trying to find out what should be correct as it came from the Plant. Hopefully, Marty will be able to help in this regard; if his is a "non tach" car.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 07:32:53 PM »
Couple of San Jose non-tach examples. Hard to get good pictures with all the Thermactor stuff in the way.
Both individual boots

7R02C172xxx

7R01C168xxx  Notice the rear edge fo the case - alternator has been replaced

Are you limiting this to one plant or all?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 09:27:03 PM »
Couple of San Jose non-tach examples. Hard to get good pictures with all the Thermactor stuff in the way.
Both individual boots

7R02C172xxx

7R01C168xxx  Notice the rear edge fo the case - alternator has been replaced

Are you limiting this to one plant or all?
Jeff why are all of your cars so dirty? ;D ;D ;D

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »
That's true concours dirt....
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 11:05:03 PM »
Ahhhh.... a bunch of Concours snobs    ::) lol
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 11:07:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 03:44:06 AM »
Jeff : Thanks for coming up with the pictures; specifically the first one (...172xxx). I think this should help John in his quest for the correct harness. The harness appears to be the same as that on my early Dearborn '67 (unless additional pictures of the "172" car reveal a separate wire going to the starter solenoid do you have any additional pictures of its harness/solenoid, 3 wire connector etc. for this car?). Do you know the build date on "172" ?

I have attached several pictures of my original and repro harnesses. The first picture shows my original on the right and the Repro I had made on the left. The remaining four pictures are details of the Repro.
Jeff, besides the reasons I noted in an earlier reply, do you have any idea why, at least up to this point in time, no one has offered the "correct" Alternator harness for the non tach '67's ? I can hardly believe that I am the first one who has needed to replace the original, and who wanted to replace it with a "correct" one.

Marty : You forgot to mention whether your picture of the Alternator harness was "with or without" tach. Also, do you know what the rectangular "thing" is in the harness near the top of the Alternator ?

Thanks to you both.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 09:22:54 AM »
Sorry I forgot to say that our car is a non-tach. The black rectangular thing is a plastic wire retainer with a loop that goes under the stud above it.
Marty

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 11:25:51 AM »
Marty : Thanks. I thought that's what it was as I've seen that on other harnesses. Interesting though, as my original Dearborn one (non tach) doesn't appear to have had that.

Bob
MCA 04909

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 04:35:32 PM »
............ Interesting though, as my original Dearborn one (non tach) doesn't appear to have had that.

So after all these years the alternator's never been off?

Easy thing to leave off when reinstalling the wires -
Jeff Speegle