Author Topic: Driveshaft markings - 68 SJ built J code Cougar  (Read 6281 times)

Offline 68NordicCat

Driveshaft markings - 68 SJ built J code Cougar
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:31:10 PM »
Refinishing the driveshaft off my 68 j code 4-spd Cougar (September 1967 build date). Found what look like 5 stripes - front to back - 1 thin black stripe about 3/8", then 3 wider stripes 1/2"-3/4" each (white, red and pink??) then another wide stripe further back appears to be either black or very dark green (this is the main one I can't read). Can anyone confirm these colors and the 5 stripe configuration?
12/67 SJ Built 68 J code 4-spd Cougar

Offline ruppstang

Re: Driveshaft markings - 68 SJ built J code Cougar
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 11:33:28 PM »
I am not sure if it is any help but here is a picture of the drive shaft for our 68 SJ  J code GT Mustang with a automatic transmission built 6-20-68.
Marty

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 07:54:37 PM »
I am not sure if it is any help but here is a picture of the drive shaft for our 68 SJ  J code GT Mustang with a automatic transmission built 6-20-68.
Marty

so my driveshaft suppose to have this stripe too ? Just to my knowledge, what is this stripes suppose to be ? what is for ?
thanks
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 08:08:54 PM »
Refinishing the driveshaft off my 68 j code 4-spd Cougar (September 1967 build date). Found what look like 5 stripes - front to back - 1 thin black stripe about 3/8", then 3 wider stripes 1/2"-3/4" each (white, red and pink??) then another wide stripe further back appears to be either black or very dark green (this is the main one I can't read). Can anyone confirm these colors and the 5 stripe configuration?

Cougar drivelines are different ones than what was used on Mustangs - unfortunately. So any number of Mustangs are not going to help

To confirm we would need another really nice original example from the same time and options or a buildsheet from the same

Sorry don't have any notes or buildsheets that will help

so my driveshaft suppose to have this stripe too ? Just to my knowledge, what is this stripes suppose to be ? what is for ?

Yes all classic Mustang drivelines were marked this way (one or more stripes)

The stripes (color, placement and order) differed between year, month and application

As discussed in other threads. The marks on the drivelines were written on the buildsheets so that the workers could quickly pick out the type/style and length of the correct driveline for that application. Buildsheets will normally identify up to three colors used - additional stripes, markings and writting were IMHO for other purposes

Workers grabbed that driveline and sat it on the "belt" below the body with the rear end before the body was lowered on that new/different "belt" at the plant as shown in the pictures in that section of the site
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mhubert89

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 08:48:17 PM »
Cougar drivelines are different ones than what was used on Mustangs - unfortunately. So any number of Mustangs are not going to help

To confirm we would need another really nice original example from the same time and options or a buildsheet from the same

Sorry don't have any notes or buildsheets that will help

Yes all classic Mustang drivelines were marked this way (one or more stripes)

The stripes (color, placement and order) differed between year, month and application

As discussed in other threads. The marks on the drivelines were written on the buildsheets so that the workers could quickly pick out the type/style and length of the correct driveline for that application. Buildsheets will normally identify up to three colors used - additional stripes, markings and writting were IMHO for other purposes

Workers grabbed that driveline and sat it on the "belt" below the body with the rear end before the body was lowered on that new/different "belt" at the plant as shown in the pictures in that section of the site

do you have a picture for a april 16th 1968 at dearborn. Where i can find the measure to have the stripe at correct place ?
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

Offline 68NordicCat

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 09:05:01 PM »
Thanks for all the info - and Marty thanks or the pic. It's helpful to see a restored version (although I suspected the Cougar markings would be different). Interested in the yoke colors on yours. Felt like I was seeing remnants of red paint on mine but couldn't tell if it was fully painted like yours or just more markings like I've seen in other pictures. One of the most useful things I've learned here is how much things could change based on the day, conditions and individual on the line and how useful it is to have pics of originals.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 10:20:30 PM »
Thanks for all the info - and Marty thanks or the pic. It's helpful to see a restored version (although I suspected the Cougar markings would be different). Interested in the yoke colors on yours. Felt like I was seeing remnants of red paint on mine but couldn't tell if it was fully painted like yours or just more markings like I've seen in other pictures. One of the most useful things I've learned here is how much things could change based on the day, conditions and individual on the line and how useful it is to have pics of originals.
I had not seen that yoke color either. Ours was missing and I purchased the 1330 Spicer from Jack at Dead Nuts On. Who said that this yoke is one of the most unusual as it has the 1330 with and a 28 spline for a C4 transmission. Many other yokes had the red oxide on them. Here is one from a C code SJ 7-16-68 High Country Special coupe with a automatic transmission.
Good luck with your project.

As others above have said it is not recommended to copy details unless you know that every thing matches your car.   
Marty

Offline preaction

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 10:28:33 PM »
Jeff, I thought the only differences in cougar-mustang drivelines were the drive shafts as they were longer By drivelines I am referring to engine, transmission, rear axle including the center section and brakes.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 10:32:24 PM »
do you have a picture for a april 16th 1968 at dearborn. Where i can find the measure to have the stripe at correct place ?

You also need to focus on the fact that your car is a 4 speed car also plus is it a GT or non-GT (another detail that makes a difference due to the different rear ends installed

This is another detail we would need to know from the OP - if he's going to find or at least look at other original examples. Not even sure if they used the single or tube inside a tube type on Cougars with manuals in 68

Suggest you start another thread since this one is already "taken" with the 68 San Jose Cougar focus ;)

May have a build sheet or original pictures

And there is no reason to measure the locations exactly - everything the worker applied them they were slightly different - sometimes even put on backwards
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:34:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68NordicCat

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 10:00:30 AM »
Great info. Thanks. The Cougar is non GT and it is the single piece shaft. Thought I had read the tube in tibe was used on automatics to smooth out the shifting but that info may not be correct.

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 11:11:47 AM »
I have a 68 J code XR7 and the build sheet shows the 5 stripes you mention
AZURLAVLAV

2 piece shaft automatic
They are longer than the Mustang.
I can clean up the shaft if you want to see the witness lines for an idea but again this is an automatic
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:16:35 AM by sportyworty »

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »
I have a 68 J code XR7 and the build sheet shows the 5 stripes you mention
AZURLAVLAV

AZUR LAV LAV is three stripes. Where does it show the other two? Can you post a scan of your build sheet?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 11:55:50 AM »
Yes 3 correct my error in haste. 68 San Jose sheets are extremely rare. Seems irrelevant based on that but here ya go

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 11:53:16 AM by sportyworty »

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 02:02:36 PM »
Yes 3 correct my error in haste. 68 San Jose sheets are extremely rare. Seems irrelevant based on that but here ya go

Awesome, thank you! I really wanted to see a SJ buid sheet!!!  :D   By the way, would you mind sharing the actual build date?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:11:10 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »
Welcome

6/20/68