Author Topic: vinegar rust removal  (Read 1579 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

vinegar rust removal
« on: July 22, 2015, 10:58:30 PM »
Got a tip from a friend down south so I had to try it. Using plain white vinegar to clean rust from parts. Cheap and it works. Cleans off plating also. No nasty fumes (like muratic acid), won't kill your hands, but please wear gloves. Weird thing about heavy rust, it gets under it and you have to rub/ scrape the rust off, comes off easy. I have not seen this kind of action before. For the cost and speed it works great. At 2 dollars a gallon at Sams Club you can't go wrong. Way better than 22 a gallon for Evaporust, and it works faster. 24 hours and only the heaviest of rust was left. Steal some from your kitchen pantry and try something, you will be surprised.

Offline Toploader

Re: vinegar rust removal
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »
Be sure to neutralize the acid before you continue on. Otherwise you may have to do over again very soon...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:13:17 PM by Toploader »
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
 Thank You. I'll try it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 07:42:58 PM »
Challenge is that vinegar leaves do rust protection once done like the non-muratic acid solutions many have become accustom to. Also I believe vinegar will stripe/remove paint marks unlike the more expensive stuff.

Haven't used muratic acid in 20 years. Use to have a plastic trash can out by the garage I would use as a dip tank. Don't spill any on concrete if so run ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)