Author Topic: Simple Green on Wiring Harnesses  (Read 5997 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Simple Green on Wiring Harnesses
« on: August 08, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
I am cleaning my good used underdash wiring harnesses up and so far the best solution I have found is Simple Green mixed at about 10 parts water to 1 of Simple Green. Spraying a shop rag wet,  it is working quickly over the majority of the exposed wires and factory taping. Spmetimes a little slow on heavily soiled, (nicotine perhaps)  Mostly, with a little effort, everything has cleaned up very well, leaving behind even the pinstripes on the wiring. (a good thing)

QUESTION: Will I need to repeat a wipe-down over each and every wire to prevent any soaking into the plastic insullation? Or...Just towel dry as I go along, which is how I have been doing it thus far.  (about 80% done on the underdash wiring at time of this post)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Simple Green on Wiring Harnesses
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »
I am cleaning my good used underdash wiring harnesses up and so far the best solution I have found is Simple Green mixed at about 10 parts water to 1 of Simple Green. Spraying a shop rag wet,  it is working quickly over the majority of the exposed wires and factory taping. Spmetimes a little slow on heavily soiled, (nicotine perhaps)  Mostly, with a little effort, everything has cleaned up very well, leaving behind even the pinstripes on the wiring. (a good thing)

QUESTION: Will I need to repeat a wipe-down over each and every wire to prevent any soaking into the plastic insullation? Or...Just towel dry as I go along, which is how I have been doing it thus far.  (about 80% done on the underdash wiring at time of this post)
I put the harness in the washing machine when washing shop towels with some oxy clean. they come out great . what is left is what you typically have to get off with something more aggressive depending on what it is and where it is . At the very least without a lot of effort it gives you a better look of what you have to tackle . Rewrapping is a given for best look although you can sometimes fudge that process. There are other ways but this works best for me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 03:18:57 PM »
Good ideas.   I've been using denatured alcohol with good success.  Cleans through the crud, leaves no residue, does not remove any wire base or stripe color. 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »
Do not use Goof-Off on wires. It is strong enough to remove the stripes.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 07:44:17 PM »
So will Simple Green (will strip paint also) if you don't watch the dilution rate
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 08:05:02 PM »
Over the years, I've found simple lacquer thinner works best.  Yes, I know Jeff Speegle claims it removes the paint stripes, but I have found that only to be the case when rubber insulated wires are painted (like some fuel lines in the tail-light harness).  I use shop rags for wires and used microfiber towels for wrapping tape.  A tooth brush works great on the plastic connectors.

Starting in 1970, Ford introduced some new plastics that LT don't play nice.  I've found the Formula 409 or vinegar are suitable for those gray connectors.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 08:22:33 PM »
I did try lacquer thinner on a rag, even when the rag dries out some, the lacquer thinner would easily take the stripe. I worked a few wires staying off the stripe (passengers side where there were far fewer wires) and followed the L.T. with some Dollar Store "Mean Green". My mean green was low, so I refilled the bottle with the Simple Green roughly 10: 1 mixture I mentioned earlier (actually, about an inch or two of Simple Green in a quart bottle, filled with tap water afterwards) That solution made life VERY simple...I wish I had started with this.

So, nobody feels the Simple Green will eat away at the insulation over time? This proceedure sure sounds less "aggressive" than running the harness in a washing machine  :o  Not knocking that idea, like a lot of things...If it WORKS and it makes life easier, what the hell!

Another thread I saw tody on seatbelts, I have an aggressive method too, but didn't feel  the audience would agree since there was concern over age and safety, so I didn't share. Like Bob's method of the washing machine on harnesses probably does...it works great!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 08:34:45 PM »
On my unrestored cars I use WD40 on a rag. Cuts through the crud and doesn't damage the tape or stripes. Also leaves the the tape looking new.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »
Go-Jo or similar waterless hand cleaner works for me.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 10:40:57 AM »
So, nobody feels the Simple Green will eat away at the insulation over time? This proceedure sure sounds less "aggressive" than running the harness in a washing machine  :o  Not knocking that idea, like a lot of things...If it WORKS and it makes life easier, what the hell!

Any chemical with solvents or petroleum components has the POTENTIAL to affect plastics and rubber. Having said that, there are a number of counter arguments:

1) A quick wipe of the surface is not going to affect the material as much as soaking would.
2) Anything that doesn't wipe off immediately will probably evaporate quickly.
3) The crud you're cleaning off may contain gasoline & petroleum compounds, so removing those is better than leaving them on.
4) You're cleaning insulation that's suffered the ravages of 40-50 years of aging. One gentle surface cleaning is probably not going to do much harm compared to that.

The MSDS for Simple Green shows the following:
Water - as you might expect, not a concern unless it gets into the connectors and inside the insulation, where it could lead to corrosion if not fully dried
2‐butoxyethanol - surfactant (soap, basically), should be compatible with most plastics
Ethoxylated Alcohol - surfactant, should not be a problem
Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate - an emulsifer (keeps removed material suspended in the cleaning solution). Sounds nasty but should not be a problem
Sodium Citrate - emulsifier, mild and should not be a problem
Fragrance & Colorant - unlikely to be incompatible, and would only be a very small percentage.

So I think you'll be OK with Simple Green, but like with any other chemical it's best to try it out on a test piece first. The MSDS for Dawn dishwashing liquid has a list of similarly ominous-sounding compounds, but would also be unlikely to harm the insulation.

The washing machine method is clever, but I would be concerned about mechanically damaging the harness, and more so about getting it fully dried, especially inside the connectors. Also, Oxyclean contains hydrogen peroxide which does pose a problem for some plastics. I'm not sure if the insulation is PVC (commonly used nowadays, don't know if it was in the 60s), but that should be OK with hydrogen peroxide. Other materials in the harness may or may not be.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »
 In a five gallon bucket, I dilute Simple green, with water and let the harness soak for a few days. Never lost tracer stripes and they came out clean.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
Any chemical with solvents or petroleum components has the POTENTIAL to affect plastics and rubber. Having said that, there are a number of counter arguments:

1) A quick wipe of the surface is not going to affect the material as much as soaking would.
2) Anything that doesn't wipe off immediately will probably evaporate quickly.
3) The crud you're cleaning off may contain gasoline & petroleum compounds, so removing those is better than leaving them on.
4) You're cleaning insulation that's suffered the ravages of 40-50 years of aging. One gentle surface cleaning is probably not going to do much harm compared to that.

The MSDS for Simple Green shows the following:
Water - as you might expect, not a concern unless it gets into the connectors and inside the insulation, where it could lead to corrosion if not fully dried
2‐butoxyethanol - surfactant (soap, basically), should be compatible with most plastics
Ethoxylated Alcohol - surfactant, should not be a problem
Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate - an emulsifer (keeps removed material suspended in the cleaning solution). Sounds nasty but should not be a problem
Sodium Citrate - emulsifier, mild and should not be a problem
Fragrance & Colorant - unlikely to be incompatible, and would only be a very small percentage.

So I think you'll be OK with Simple Green, but like with any other chemical it's best to try it out on a test piece first. The MSDS for Dawn dishwashing liquid has a list of similarly ominous-sounding compounds, but would also be unlikely to harm the insulation.

The washing machine method is clever, but I would be concerned about mechanically damaging the harness, and more so about getting it fully dried, especially inside the connectors. Also, Oxyclean contains hydrogen peroxide which does pose a problem for some plastics. I'm not sure if the insulation is PVC (commonly used nowadays, don't know if it was in the 60s), but that should be OK with hydrogen peroxide. Other materials in the harness may or may not be.

This is where knowledge of the ingrediants pays off AND it is what I was asking about, and yet till now, not discussed.
SOMETIMES an immediate answer isn't the BEST answer. Just because Simple Green worked good, a concern or a long-term exposure to the remnant residue was my next concern.

EXAMPLE: Armor-All might make your dash LOOK GOOD, but OMG!!! Will it destroy it!  :o BAD STUFF!!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:08:05 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »
 A close friend of mine, who rewires cars professionally, is the one who got me into using the Simple Green solution. I hang the harness up and dry all connections with an air hose.  As stated, with any cleaner, you need to use just enough to get the job done so as not to damage markings, etc.

BTW, I am wondering what everyone uses on their dashboards to keep them from cracking. I use Murphy's Oil Soap to clean and Mother's after.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 06:50:30 PM »
BTW, I am wondering what everyone uses on their dashboards to keep them from cracking. I use Murphy's Oil Soap to clean and Mother's after.

I've used Mink Oil - only when they need them which isn't often since they don't see the sun on a regular basis any longer

NEVER EVER Armoral !!!
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 10:20:59 PM »
In a five gallon bucket, I dilute Simple green, with water and let the harness soak for a few days. Never lost tracer stripes and they came out clean.

I am sure this will clean the wiring to look good, but I have to wonder how you would fully dry the wiring inside the insulation. Living in the rust belt, I have seen multiple times what happens to the copper insides of a wire that somebody simply "pricked" with a test light before and then road salt gets inside the insulation. The corrosion travels several feet up/down the pricked wire and even at times, the full length of the copper conductor! Not a pretty sight when you try and repair a bad circuit, and you keep cutting back the wire and find only brown copper, not bright-shiney copper. Almost impossible to get solder to stick to brown copper.(to repair a bad wire)

Sorry, I'm finding it difficult to support anything submeging the harnesses, but maybe I'm just weird that way.
Richard Urch