Author Topic: Motorcraft Battery - Concours Driven  (Read 15525 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: Motorcraft Battery - Concours Driven
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »
Now is a dead battery worth $500 to me?  :o ::) :-\ :'( ???

Or, you could ask yourself if a point on a judging sheet is worth $83.33.   ::)  ;D
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »
Or, you could ask yourself if a point on a judging sheet is worth $83.33.   ::)  ;D

It's all a huge Numbers Game anyways and he who has the most numbers in a bank account WINS everytime!

Pick your battles! If it bothers YOU (not judges) that you have to cough up points over an item found to be less than acceptable AND you have access to all the "benjamins" to resolve the issue, then yes, probably worth $83.33-1/3 x6, PLUS shipping, to make it go away for now.

I watched a NEW NOS pair of rotors go away this morning because my USED ones are A-OK for my needs. I am sure somebody out there (possibly a member of this forum) feels the $500 for a pair of NOS rotors was well worth it. If I had $$$$ to burn I probably would have given them a "GO" too!

Bob said it best ;)

Yes , life is all about choices.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline hopeto

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »
Yes, we have to leave room for "that guy" who drives around with his dead, original 1986 battery
Hmmmm?
Are you saying that's a "bad thing". LOL
You did an EXCELLANT job on your recreation battery, but it is not an original/correct battery.
I AGREE with you that the point deduction seems severe.

I ordered/bought my 84 new and when the original date coded battery went dead I emptied the acid out and saved it.
I didn't spend an extra dime on it.
Here's a pic of my original BX63 battery.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline hopeto

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »
BTW, as a follow-up, have they ever deducted points for the Saleen autograph on your fan shroud?
Just curious.
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline BobV

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 01:15:02 PM »
BTW, as a follow-up, have they ever deducted points for the Saleen autograph on your fan shroud?
Just curious.
The judging sheet for Saleen has the following notes on page 6:
1984-1993 Saleen Vehicle Certification Label Information
NOTICE TO ALL SALEEN JUDGES
1. Some exceptions to these guidelines exist due in part to personalized
customer orders.
2. Some owners have received Steve Saleen's autograph on their car. No
point deductions should be made on their car for the signature.

3. Carry over parts to the next model year do appear on early model
Saleens. 

Now, technically, a deduction could be made for Liz & Molly's signatures on the dash with Steve's...

Yes, we have to leave room for "that guy" who drives around with his dead, original 1986 battery

Hmmmm?
Are you saying that's a "bad thing". LOL
Not at all - no offense intended. Unrestored/Thoroughbred, and MAYBE Trailered Concours cars - I can definitely see having the original battery as "expected". I think (this is only MHO) it's an unreasonable expectation for a Driven car to have one... But, the judging sheet should "leave room" for the guy that does. (Again, IMHO), a 2 point / 33% deduct for a current Motorcraft battery would be more appropriate for a Driven car, and wouldn't bother me. Heck, I might given give the guy an extra point back for painting the case and doing retro decals...

An 83% points deduct is steep - that would be a parts store battery in poor condition in MY way of thinking (NO battery at all is -100%)...

1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 09:45:22 PM »
This situation is perhaps one of the best examples for using the Additional Points during judging: you get 6 bonus points for an original battery in a driven class.

Similar bonus points are used for original dealer cards in the vintage Mustangs.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline bluemax

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 06:55:59 AM »
This situation is perhaps one of the best examples for using the Additional Points during judging: you get 6 bonus points for an original battery in a driven class.

Similar bonus points are used for original dealer cards in the vintage Mustangs.

When the correct part is not available, either oem or reproduction, I would have to agree with you. Unlike the first generation cars, concours correct reproduction parts are just starting to appear to market.

Offline Predator5S-0149

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »
I recently showed my 85 GT as unrestored driven at the MCA Columbus grand national show. I got hit for the full 6 point deduction for my replacement motorcraft battery. I would like to find an original 85 battery to had with the car. I do think it is a bit over the top to deduct the full amount of points when it does have the most correct battery available from Ford. Should get atleast partial points. I can understand full deduction for just any generic battery.
1985 Mustang GT 3,900 orig. miles
1985 Mustang Twister II/Predator GT-302 5S-0149

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 08:16:56 PM »
that issue was discussed at the judges meeting after the show. i do not know what the outcome will be.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 10:55:34 PM »
................. I do think it is a bit over the top to deduct the full amount of points when it does have the most correct battery available from Ford. Should get atleast partial points. I can understand full deduction for just any generic battery.

How close visually is the current one to the original - that would be the guiding hand in figuring out how much or little value the battery might be awarded/deducted. Just because it comes from Ford IMHo does not make it better or worst since its not about who makes the part ;)

Now if they both (new and the original) both have MOTORCRAFT in large fonts on the cover and the color of the case is the same (for example - that would be worth more than yellow cased Interstate ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Predator5S-0149

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 11:58:16 PM »
The current motorcraft battery vs original are completely different in look. We're talking cars in a driven class. If they expected to be driven then there has to be some kind of allowance for a part that is obviously not going to last 30 yrs.  heck my 85 has 3,900 miles on it. I drove it to show on original tires. Yet the rules will allow replacement of tires with no point deduction if correct brand. shouldn't be any different for a battery honestly. It is possible to find old original tires easier than an old, bad battery. Honestly MCA rules contradict themselves with only giving points if you have an original battery(that doesn't work) and say the car has to start.

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »
The current motorcraft battery vs original are completely different in look. We're talking cars in a driven class. If they expected to be driven then there has to be some kind of allowance for a part that is obviously not going to last 30 yrs.  heck my 85 has 3,900 miles on it. I drove it to show on original tires. Yet the rules will allow replacement of tires with no point deduction if correct brand. shouldn't be any different for a battery honestly. It is possible to find old original tires easier than an old, bad battery. Honestly MCA rules contradict themselves with only giving points if you have an original battery(that doesn't work) and say the car has to start.

+1 on the tires. Good point.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline bluemax

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »

Which class are we now referring to; Unrestored or Concours Driven? There is a difference according to the rules. I copied the following from the MCA rules for Unrestored Class.

"Unrestored cars are usually low mileage with original factory parts and equipment as ordered. These cars will be judged on originality by Thoroughbred standards with reproduction or updated Ford Service Replacement parts not acceptable."

Based on that, then I would expect a full deduction for the service replacement battery. Now if we are talking about Concours Driven, then partial points would be a valid point.

Offline Predator5S-0149

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 01:47:32 PM »
My car was in unrestored driven at grand national show.  If it is acceptable for tires to be replaced it does not make sense for it not to acceptable to have an oe replacement battery. It is 100% impossible to have an original 30yr old battery in working condition in a car drive to show. For trailered I can understand it.  I don't believe a person showing their car should be penalized for going the extra mile to get the closest battery possible to  oe from ford to keep their car on the road.  Now I could see if they were offering bonus points for still having the factory original car to display along with the car when it is classified as driven.

Offline bluemax

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 02:45:30 PM »
My car was in unrestored driven at grand national show.

I am not familiar with that class. I thought Division III A was the only Unrestored class. For our cars, 1974-1993, that would be class URB.

Very curious, what was the class designation written on your dash card?