Author Topic: 70 Boss 302 Dearborn - where do I find paint codes for suspension  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Bossman963

What I'm looking for is their a chart or site that I can find out what color paint dabs that lets say, idler arm, spindles, center link + tie rods ( inner + Outer) front sway bar, brakes driveshaft-etc, etc

its a 70 Boss Dearborn car built 10/69, dso 57- texas
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:46:29 PM by J_Speegle »
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline 67gta289

Re: where do I find paint codes for suspension
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 07:19:40 PM »
I don't think you'll find a chart here.  You will need to do word searches.  As more information is discovered/uncovered, you might see newer dated posts with more correct information, so you really need to do quite a bit of searching and reading.  If there are questions that remain, bring those up with specifics.

You did include assembly plant, date, and DSO, so that is a good start.

Switching to opinion, I think that daub is a better term than dab for the paint marks.

Here is the definition of daub:

verb:  coat or smear (a surface) with a thick or sticky substance in a carelessly rough or liberal way.
"she daubed her face with night cream"

synonyms: smear, bedaub, plaster, splash, spatter, splatter, cake, cover, smother, coat

•paint (words or drawings) on a surface by daubing. "they daubed graffiti on the walls"

•a patch or smear of a thick or sticky substance. "a daub of paint"

synonyms: smear, smudge, splash, blot, spot, patch, blotch, splotch "daubs of paint"

a painting executed without much skill.

------------------------------------------------

Switching to the definition of dab:

verb:  press against (something) lightly with a piece of absorbent material in order to clean or dry it. "he dabbed his mouth with his napkin"

synonyms: pat, press, touch, blot, mop, swab;

•apply (a substance) with light quick strokes. "she dabbed disinfectant on the cut"

aim at or strike with a light blow.

noun: dab; plural noun: dabs

a small amount of something. "she licked a dab of chocolate from her finger"

synonyms: drop, spot, smear, splash, speck, taste, trace, touch, hint, bit; informal smidgen, tad, lick  "a dab of glue"

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:58:34 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »
What I'm looking for is their a chart or site that I can find out what color paint dabs that lets say, idler arm, spindles, center link + tie rods ( inner + Outer) front sway bar, brakes driveshaft-etc, etc

First off I would guess that your car is correct in every other detail if your concerned about paint marks since they are not required nor will you likely be deducted for the lack of them at a show - you will only loose points if they are incorrect in any way. All the details on your car can result in deductions so I would make sure they are all correct - right down to the finest detail before you spend the time and effort paint marks may require

Researching paint marks for any specific car takes allot of hours since you have to take into consideration allot of different details to make sure what you put on the car is correct. There are many found that were only possibly placed on one car (not any others)  and many that were consistent through the whole production run.  There are some guides out there that IMHO are not worth looking at and will even confuse or prompt you to use incorrect ones possibly for your car. So beware. Since there are tens of thousands of combinations I don't know if there will ever be a comprehensive list covering all the popular cars - especially considering how much we learn every year. Started 30 years ago collecting these details and I'm still collecting

For a list I would start with the car's buildsheet since these are specific to the car, plant and time period and are often the most common. That would provide you with allot of what you've asked for so far

Lots of cars out there have marks borrowed from other cars and years so I would not suggest doing the same and using what you might see in a magazine article or on the web.

There are a number of threads already posed on this subject but to restate what has been written - if you had the colors you will also need to know how large, how it was applied and other details - color is only the beginning.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossman963

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:43:01 AM »
OK I hit the wrong keys as its daub- I get that

OK Jeff as I have the build sheet but you can't read anything as it has allot of deep rust type marks on the sheet, I get that no marks is better than incorrect marks- but isn't there some basics like pink or yellow for p/s  - same colors on the front sway bar, Pittman. idler etc ???

I know it takes a lot of research- just need  to be sent in that direction- everybody has different ideas like the color of fender bolts- 95% of everyone says their cad 1 or silver- well that's totally incorrect as per the platters I dealt with and I have had over 4 original cars that were never apart and when I loosened the fender bolts along with hundreds of other Mustangs all the bolts were cad 2- a goldish color- have many pic to that effect and it goes back to the early 80's.
So I understand theirs not 1 specific rule- but any help would be appreciated ;D
thx Mike
2-69 B302 -twins, 1-1970 Cougar Eliminator B302- matching numbers, 70 B302 in progress, 68 Charger, 74 Pantera GTS, 2 fox body Mustangs 1 conv

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 04:43:53 AM »
PM sent ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossman963

Re: 70 Boss 302 Dearborn - where do I find paint codes for suspension
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 12:35:33 PM »
Got it and see my response  :o 8)

thx Mike V
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:46:49 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 12:19:27 AM »
OK Mike sent me a scan of his buildsheet and I got a chance to spend some time with it today. Its not in the greatest shape though the "How to clean your buildsheet" thread might help if he wants to try in the future

Jeff Speegle

Offline Crgjohnson

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 08:15:10 PM »
I have been fairly successful in gentle cleaning the parts in a solvent tank then soaking in Evapo Rust for a couple days. Daubs that were not visible suddenly appear. One I know location, color and pattern I can then recreate with confidence that it is original to my car. Here is an example of markings that were not visible prior to cleaning.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:51:12 AM by Crgjohnson »
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69