Author Topic: I purchased a Vintage Motorcraft Battery for Shows  (Read 3781 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

I purchased a Vintage Motorcraft Battery for Shows
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:21:45 PM »
I had posted this on Foureyedpide.com

I saw that Bob was talking about his 5 point deduction and I know that Bluemax has a period correct battery from judging his beautiful SVO at  the MCA show in Columbus.  I thought I would post this here.  I have seen Bob's car in Lincoln Nebraska at last years MCA show.  It is beautiful as well.

I purchased a Vintage Motorcraft Battery for Shows

I had the chance to buy the used one - this one, or a NOS one.

My wife went crazy when she heard how much they cost.

She said heck no on the NOS one, but I was able to get the used one.  She thought this was crazy money for this, but I told her where am I going to find another one.

It does not work and all the acid has been drained.  It will be used only at MCA 79-93 Concours shows.

Here it is - Pretty cool.  Not perfect, I think I can sand smooth the plastic out a little on the corners.  I still need to clean it up a little.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 12:25:52 PM by 79mustangcobra »
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: I purchased a Vintage Motorcraft Battery for Shows
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »

4-1/2 Points DEDUCTED No acid in the battery

(just kidding) Looks nice. At least there are choices for YOUR example...not even ONE at any cost because anyone who has a 22F assemblyline battery would be a fool to sell it...unless they didn't need one ~they'd probably fetch as much as $2K ~now THAT is "crazy money"!!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 05:39:01 PM »
4-1/2 Points DEDUCTED No acid in the battery

(just kidding) Looks nice. At least there are choices for YOUR example...not even ONE at any cost because anyone who has a 22F assemblyline battery would be a fool to sell it...unless they didn't need one ~they'd probably fetch as much as $2K ~now THAT is "crazy money"!!
If it were mine I would put water in it instead of acid. It's dead anyway. Unlike a black case battery it may be evident that it is dry through the translucent white plastic in a white case version if you can't see a liquid line.Chances are a judge wouldn't deduct for it buttttt you never know what interpretation of the rules may be in play . It would add to the authentic look IMO. Unless you think a judge is going to jab his or her finger down in to to see if their skin starts burning to confirm the acidic content.  ;D besides it's easy to do and you can dump it out after a show if you are concerned about it spilling somehow during storage. Anyway just what I would do because I would want the most authentic presentation .Others may not be as concerned which is OK too. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 07:36:42 PM »
If it were mine I would put water in it instead of acid. It's dead anyway. Unlike a black case battery it may be evident that it is dry through the translucent white plastic in a white case version if you can't see a liquid line.Chances are a judge wouldn't deduct for it buttttt you never know what interpretation of the rules may be in play . It would add to the authentic look IMO. Unless you think a judge is going to jab his or her finger down in to to see if their skin starts burning to confirm the acidic content.  ;D besides it's easy to do and you can dump it out after a show if you are concerned about it spilling somehow during storage. Anyway just what I would do because I would want the most authentic presentation .Others may not be as concerned which is OK too.

As long as you don't accidentally leave plain water in it during winter storage (for those of us that HAVE winter)   ::)   ;D
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 4eyes

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 06:18:32 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something but won't regular Water let the lead rust? That'd make a mess of your beautiful translucent case... Imo.

Great find though!!!

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »
uh, i don't think lead will rust.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 07:30:49 PM »
uh, i don't think lead will rust.
+1 .Maybe that is why they used it for drain pipes for so many decades ;) . FYI you could always use something like mineral oil too but it is more messing.Water is just the  easiest.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 09:34:47 PM »
I don't know what you paid for it, but great score. Can't believe I gave mine up when I replaced it in the 90's.  :P
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline KevinMac

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
Great find and the decals are in good shape too, considering the age!  :)

I came across a '93 and a '94 battery this summer. As you see, the decals on the one are roached but that didn't make it any less expensive!  :o

Looking forward to next show season to see what my investment gains me in points!

- 1969 Mustang Coupe #1 - spent 2 years on body work only to be rear ended and having it totaled on the way to the paint shop :(
- 1969 Mustang Coupe #2 - Sold in 2006
- 1993 Mustang Feature Car - In process
- 1994 Ford Lightning - Sold in 2004
- 1994 Mustang GT - runs low 9's at 148mph :)