Author Topic: Seat Belt Resto Woes  (Read 6553 times)

Offline rogerpir

Seat Belt Resto Woes
« on: November 05, 2015, 06:42:50 PM »
  Hey guys. I am having problems with my 70 Mach 1 shoulder harness and wondered if you have any solution. I sent both my shoulder harnesses to Snake Oyl to be restored. One of them came back with the strap put in the wrong place making it impossible to be put it on the hook in the stowed position (first pic). Sent it back along with pictures and written description of what was wrong. I got the harness back today and they did put the strap in the correct position but on the wrong side!!(2ndpic) The car is going to the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in 2 weeks and if I send it back again I don't think I will get it back in time and even if I did, it would probably be put on sideways. 
  My questions are:
1)Does it matter if the label is on the wrong side?
2)If so, do you think a regular seamstress would be able to remove the stow strap and put it on the correct side? I know nothing about sewing and don't own a sewing machine.   

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Seat Belt Resto Woes
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »
Since the sewing would NOT be of the seams that secure a passenger (in the event of a collision), any auto upholsterer should be able to move these items. There may be some subtle perforations where the old stitching was but it would be hard to see.

This requires a heavy-duty machine or something that works on tough material such as a leather worker would use.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 07:01:49 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 07:00:24 PM »
Assuming that by marking the sample "right" you mean "original "  ;)

1)Does it matter if the label is on the wrong side?

That is a personal choice - it if bothers you, you think (if judged) they will figure it out and/or you think it matters have it fixed.

)If so, do you think a regular seamstress would be able to remove the stow strap and put it on the correct side? I know nothing about sewing and don't own a sewing machine.   

Since this is not structural (likely does not effect the strength or durability of the seat belt) repair you should be ok
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 07:47:55 PM »
Not inspiring a lot of confidence to send my belts to them to restore.  :-X

Offline rogerpir

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 11:43:36 PM »
Jeff, the one marked "right" is the one where they put the strap in the right place. Both were sent to be restored at the same time. Odd that they had both harnesses but one they put the strap in the right place and the other way too far back. Would have thought it would be really obvious when they had them lying side by side as the picture shows. I used Ssnake Oyl  twice before and had no problems so I don't know what has happened.  I about flipped when I got it back the second time and they put the strap on the wrong side. I was like, "Is someone mad at me?". They didn't seem particularly worried about it when I called them so I think I will just fix it myself. I figure I am just asking for it if I send it a third time.   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »
.......... I figure I am just asking for it if I send it a third time.   

Could just be an honest mistake (we all make them) and likely the vendor would like to make it right but understand the time crunch with the show so you have to do what you need to do to make things work
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 02:55:46 PM »
Could just be an honest mistake (we all make them) and likely the vendor would like to make it right but understand the time crunch with the show so you have to do what you need to do to make things work

+1

I was going to say the same thing yesterday...I figured somebody else would eventually with a bit more "clout"... and then add my +1!

Mission accomplished!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 09:04:12 PM »
I sent my '67 belts to them with NOS Shelby emblems for the buttons. The belts were in good condition, but as usual with black, it had faded over the years.
They call me AFTER I sent them in, wanted to charge me an extra 175.00 for "Shelby" seatbelt tags and to "install" the emblems on the buttons.

1. All lap belts are not Shelby specific, they are FORD. No Shelby tags required.
2. The button emblems are self-adhesive. Nothing special about installation but making sure you're not an idiot and put them in correctly in relation to the buckle.

735.00 to re-web a belt is outright rape. My reply to the individual at Snake Oyl was: Does the job come with complimentary Vaseline?
She really didn't know what to say, nor did I really expect a response. I advised her I would take my business elsewhere and told her to send them back to me
at their cost being what they quoted me over the phone was 270.00 over the quote on the phone.
Send them to Stuart at Python Restoration. New tags, date coded, replated and painted. Lap belt retractors re-dyed.  My only  complaint was the bolts for the roll bar for 67 and 68 have different head markings, so my '67 bolts are MIA.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:13:02 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline Crgjohnson

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 01:58:57 AM »
Has anyone recently had their seat belts restored by Python restorations? If so what is the approx price to have a set of black B2 belts restored? I'm missing the shoulder belts. Does Python have the capability to build a set of shoulder belts from scratch or do they only restore from cores? Thanks for any help.
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 02:06:42 AM »
Has anyone recently had their seat belts restored by Python restorations? If so what is the approx price to have a set of black B2 belts restored? I'm missing the shoulder belts. Does Python have the capability to build a set of shoulder belts from scratch or do they only restore from cores? Thanks for any help.
Why not call and ask Stuart rather then a guess here? http://www.pythonrestoration.com/   214-384-9696 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Crgjohnson

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »
You are right Bob I would love to have called. However, I'm deployed overseas and the phone coverage is very poor. When I return I will give them a call.

Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 02:40:27 PM »
You are right Bob I would love to have called. However, I'm deployed overseas and the phone coverage is very poor. When I return I will give them a call.

Email address from the website: pythonrestoration@tx.rr.com
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 02:45:47 PM »
Craig,
Stuart did my lap belts front and rear for 349.00 with date coded tags. That should give you a rough idea. SSnake oil wanted 525.00, then added a premium for seat belt tags and and emblem installation. They were about a 90 day turn around at the time. Of course, I didn't use them after the games. There is also another out there another who opened their business post working for the aforementioned. Webb seat belts. Overpriced, ( Same prices as SSnake Oyl)
Stuart was also able to re-wind the spring on my shoulder retractor after I dropped one of them and popped the spring retainer off the side.
However, one thing to keep in mind is that he is very busy starting just after Christmas through June because those in cold climates drive their vehicles in late spring and summer.

Offline Crgjohnson

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 07:35:31 PM »
Thank you. That was the feedback I was looking for.

Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 07:42:12 PM »
Craig:
What branch? Where?