Author Topic: 1st test ride: issues noted, looking for advice  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Angela

1st test ride: issues noted, looking for advice
« on: November 08, 2015, 01:48:16 PM »
Nervously, I have put the first 3 miles on the odometer and noted a few things I'd like some help with. I'm not really sure within which category to post this, but the drivetrain section seemed (to me) the most appropriate.

Good news: The car runs quite well, for the most part and the transmission indeed seems to shift well (I was worried about that).  Idle speed is around 1000-1500 when cold, but slows down to about 800rpm after about 1-2 minutes.

Application: 1967 390, C6 car

Here are the items I'd like some help with:

(1) While she runs very well, it still stalls 100% of the time when you attempt to put it into *any* gear. It will not stall if you apply some throttle when shifting from park into D or R. I have no idea why it won't stay running without applying throttle when shifting into a gear. Again, if anything the idle rpm is still a little on the high side at ~800 when warm. When the engine is still warming up, idle is at or above 1000rpm and the engine will stall if I try to put it into any gear even at that idle speed.

(2) When putting the car into any gear, I swear I hear and sense what feels like the rear end slamming into engagement. It "feels" like there is "play" in something (not sure what.... rear end gears, u-joints?). The entire drivetrain is rebuilt, including the entire axle and differential housing which was professionally rebuilt. It does have traction lock.

(3) The power steering system makes much more noise than I would have expected. When going straight, there is essentially no abnormal noise. The noise occurs only when I turn the steering wheel... the sound is a lower pitch howl... not quite a whine and certainly *not* a squeal. The entire system was rebuilt by Randy at the Stanger's site. I contacted Randy and he said:
              "If the noise isn't loud when not turning, and the turning noise isn't too loud, then I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, the a NOS cam pack should be found and  installed in the pump to change the pumping action and should eliminate the noise."
Anyone else run across this type of concern and gone down the path of the "NOS cam pack" Randy refers to?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 1st test ride: issues noted, looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 03:17:20 PM »
Quick answer on all 3.
Get the carb adjusted by someone local who REALLY KNOWS that style carb of the 60's era and probably your driveline trouble goes away. and the power steering, if it is full, will either get quieter or not. If it does not, do as was already suggested if the noise is too much.

Do the carb first and more likely you will be quite happy with your car without anything else needed.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
The harshness when it goes into gear is probably related to the idle being higher than normal.  I would get the carburetor looked at, and see if it still slams into gear with the idle corrected.

On the power steering whine, I would decide if it was something I could live with or not.  I've gone through 3 rebuild pumps on my '69 Mach, and it's still fairly noisy.  When I talked to Dan at Chockostang about trying multiple pumps, I asked specifically if there was any surefire way to make the whine go away.  Other than finding the NOS clutch pack like you're talking about, I don't think there's much chance, unless you randomly stumble across an excellent pump from a rebuilder.  As Dan said, since we're 40 years on, most of these pumps have been rebuilt at least once (some, probably several times).  It's a total gamble going with a rebuilt pump, and there's no way that I know of of testing a pump to see if it will whine until it's completely installed in the car and the car is running.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:36:35 AM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:40:50 PM »
Thanks guys!

Sounds like there is some agreement that my carb is the first thing I should investigate. At present, I lack the education to know what specific element of the carb may need adjustment. Additionally, I know of no one in my general area that could help. So, can anyone recommend some good books or reading material on these ford/holley carbs?
Since the car will idle just fine, yet stalls when I apply a load (ie put it into any gear), is it fair to say that these carbs have a 'low speed circuit" that in my case must not be adjusted properly? If true, what is the adjustment?

Concerning the power steering system, it sounds like the clutch pack Randy referred to is a difficult-to-find item. The noise is quite annoying and it bothers me a lot. So, if the clutch pack is difficult to find, it sounds like my only other recourse is to try another rebuilt pump. What a mess (fluid) swapping pumps will make. Ugh.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
give this fellow a call regarding your p.s. pump.........    http://www.carsandstripes.com/rodes-restoration-1158
5F09C331248

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »
I have used rode's and not a noise or a drop of fluid.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 09:49:50 PM »
I have used rode's and not a noise or a drop of fluid.
+1 . Rodes had advised to use a Zinc additive to fluid because many brands type F now days does not have it. I use the Lucas ps and transmission additive as additive because it thickens the fluid which stops the noise ,keeps fluid from leaking and if I remember right has the extra zinc in it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby