Author Topic: Questions on scoring  (Read 6534 times)

Offline astat1

Questions on scoring
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:35:15 PM »
How much does the scoring of a particular car in a regional show influence the future scoring in a national show? Are the judges obliged to use a previous  scoring at a regional event to judge at a national level? Are there two tiers of judging even if the same judges are used (without looking inconsistent)? How common is it for a car to be downgraded going from a regional to a national show (if judges are the same?). These several questions all approach the same point. Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Questions on scoring
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:47:45 PM »
How much does the scoring of a particular car in a regional show influence the future scoring in a national show?

I would believe it influences it little or none. There are often wide differences in what is expected (for example the Mini-Nats and the SAAC nationals) also ALLOT more eyes on it during judging at the nationals

Are the judges obliged to use a previous  scoring at a regional event to judge at a national level?

Do not believe so -

Are there two tiers of judging even if the same judges are used (without looking inconsistent)? How common is it for a car to be downgraded going from a regional to a national show (if judges are the same?). .................

I would doubt that all the judges were the same - from my exposure cars often do not do as well at large national shows as they do at local ones.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:24:01 PM »
I agree with Jeff, the most difference from one show to another would be the different judges. We have a little more liberty in SAAC and Team Shelby because the rules aren't written as to what is acceptable like MCA but even in fairness to that the MCA rules are being rewritten to be more consistent with the times. Honestly having judged in all three the cars all fall the same when I do them. Actually depending on the car it could do better at SAAC if its a very accurate car as SAAC does 66/33% authenticity/workmanship vs. 50/50 MCA

ps: I've had owners ask me to look at previous judging sheets beforehand and I do not look at them. It only taints the process. However if its a car I've done a previous year or in another venue its impossible not to look for things that were previously wrong
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:27:14 PM by T Lea »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:29:39 PM »
How much does the scoring of a particular car in a regional show influence the future scoring in a national show?       It should have little or none. Are the judges obliged to use a previous  scoring at a regional event to judge at a national level?   no although sometimes if things are not fixed and a attitude of not caring is perceived small improper items that may otherwise be ignored will be looked at and scored instead.    Are there two tiers of judging even if the same judges are used (without looking inconsistent)?       I don't think so.        How common is it for a car to be downgraded going from a regional to a national show (if judges are the same?).      I think it depends on a lot of things like how many qualified judges are looking at the car . The more eyes on the car the more improper items can be identified.The amount of time a judge is able to look at a car is a important factor in this scenario .As more items are fixed and taken out of the picture other less noticeable items may become more obvious and thus be scored. That is the reason sometimes when a entrant fixes items and still gets a similar score.   It isn't uncommon for a car to get a lower score at a national show then at a regional show.  This is just my perception and my not reflect what others think.    These several questions all approach the same point. ThanksYour welcome. I hope this is helpful. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Rick Nochta

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:22:14 AM »
The people who have answered your question are some the most experienced Judges on the planet . They also strive to be extremely consistent whether at SAAC , MCA or Team Shelby events . SAAC has been working without written rules for years ( which is about to change ) and generally will have deductions that MCA does not . If you follow MCA rules and consult the Gold Card judges listed in the MCA website on issues you are unclear on , you will do fine . Rick Nochta SAAC 36 Asst. Head Judge , MCA Gold Card