Author Topic: Something all Concours chrome bumper Mustang's are missing  (Read 5768 times)

Offline QikBBStang

Something all Concours chrome bumper Mustang's are missing
« on: December 01, 2015, 06:13:14 PM »
When I was 16-18 back in 1969-71 I worked at a Ford Lincoln & Mercury dealership in Southampton NY. My job was detailing and cleaning up both new and occasionally used cars. New cars were kind of a mess with stickers/smudges on both inside and outside window glass. I had to spray glass-cleaner on each cars window sticker/soak, and peal them off with a single edge razor, lay out to dry, fold up and then into owners manual bag they went. I doubt many Dealers provided this service?

One thing that we did on every car is soak 0000 steel wool with Afta cleaning fluid and scrub through the clear lacquer like protective coating that the bumpers obviously were dunked in to get the transparent coating off. ( You could actually see and feel the runs where it was extra thick) Where the Bumper Bolt heads were there were always rings of the lacquer like protectant left around them where the steel wool was difficult to reach.  Properly a showroom chromed bumper Mustang should have those protectant rings around all the bumper bolts. I assure you no new car prep guy would remove the bolts to get up close enough not to leave a ring..
If Concours Judging revolves around as:  'Delivered new to original owner.'  There's no way a new Mustang or Ford, Lincoln Merc would have been delivered without these "lacquer" rings. I suppose at a sloppy dealer they might have not cleaned the protectant off all that well (like lower sides of bumpers). We were a high $ dealer and actually waxed every new car before delivery. No bumper looked good with that stuff on as delivered from FoMoCo to the dealers. It would stick out like a sore thumb.
   I'm going to guess it was at least a 5-10 minute job per bumper - of course the stuff was on everything from Pinto's to Town Cars.
   We used the Afta solvent mixed with motor oil to shine the vinyl tops... I only wonder how that affected the tops in the long run.  We never removed/returned the chain down plates. Odd to think of today was a template in a bag with the radio antenna and we had to drill the five holes, mount the antenna  and feed the wire in to the radio's on if I recall correctly every new car.. Odd in about 1 out of 10 cars I'd find a radio noise suppression kit (grounding straps, capacitor like jobs, copper cheese grater jobs etc) laying in the car - they never went anywhere except into the extra parts FoMoCo donated bin .
Maybe 1 out of a 100 had the Auto-Seat belt rollers (like a mini hair curler)  Digging through my parts I found I have (4) NOS today

My Thursday job was to pick-up/return, detail all the cars from the Ford families estate on the ocean. (A rumor told to me by the shop mgr was Edsel put a car into the tall privet hedge that lined the long sweeping driveway to the estate.) The Ford's cars were almost all Lincolns, Mercury wagons and my favorite a black XL Galaxie, white convertible top, high back white buckets, auto w/console, styled steel wheels w70series and a Police Interceptor motor and Traction Loc I always presumed that was Henry's Car... Always made sure that Police Interceptor mill performed properly and would schedule the Galaxie's detailing around my lunch hour.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:28:24 AM by QikBBStang »

Offline specialed

Re: Something all Concours chrome bumper Mustang's are missing
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 11:13:21 PM »
very interesting !!!!!  sounds like you would be good to interview .

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »
That's great info--keep the stories coming.  That kind of thing is fascinating, and unless someone shares it, that information is basically lost now.
--1965 fastback, 289/4-spd, built Feb. '65 at Dearborn
--1965 convertible, 289/4-spd, built Mar. '65 at Dearborn
--1966 GT fastback, 289/4-spd, built Dec. '65 at Dearborn
--1966 coupe, 200/3-spd, built Dec. '65 at NJ (in the family since 1968)
--1967 coupe, 289/C4, built Dec. '66 at NJ
--2017 GT

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
Good read!  Thanks for sharing.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 11:26:07 AM »
QikB      do you rememberwhich side of car (mustang anyway) you removed window sticker  as from my reseach a 4-door or 2 door car with a big back window had sticker on rear window as not to block drivers viewing when moving car around but mustang with small lh rear window not enough room for the sticker it was on the rh door window (I have pics of 69-70 mustang on dealer lots that way) but don't know all years & models.   What did the rings around bumper bolts look like (can you describe with more detail).   Those seat belt rollers I have seen on some 69 convertible outer front seat belt but not sure if dealer added ; thanks

Offline QikBBStang

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »
markb0729 I agree I'm pretty sure the Dealer Invoice was always on the passenger door glass of two doors. They NEVER were where it would require climbing into a back seat.  Stickers would/could create a big problem with visibility loading, unloading, moving around new vehicles if it were on the drivers side.  If I soaked the "window stickers" down with glass cleaner and gave it time, with the help of a single edge razor I could peel off a sticker, let it dry, it would not have a tare or wrinkle. There were always approx. 3" dia  brightly colored "inspection stickers" and smaller white stickers that were all made of real easy to remove with a glass cleaner soaking paper adhesive all over the windows. 

The rings were just like you'd dunked a new bumper into well diluted clear lacquer or enamel (I'm going with it being lacquer because the solvent dissolved it with the steel wool scrub). More then anything all bumpers looked like crap off the car hauler with obvious "run or drip" lines without a new car prep.  I am a very surprised that clear protectant "rings" surrounding and under bumper bolts have not been recognized by the Mustang thoroughbred folks and historians. Obviously bumpers with embedded turn signals, license plate lights etc. would have similar un-able to get at residue of the protectant.  Something I chuckle at is back in those days chrome was pretty good...and FoMoCo still added that "protectant" to insure no rust until it was SOLD.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:14:47 PM by QikBBStang »

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 01:22:53 PM »
...and FoMoCo still added that "protectant" to insure no rust until it was SOLD.

I suspect the primary purpose of the coating would be to protect the finish from scuffing during shipment to the assembly plants. Vibration + bumper-to-bumper or bumper-to-container contact could leave small scuff marks that wouldn't polish out easily.

Very interesting observation, thanks for sharing!
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline QikBBStang

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 11:33:40 AM »
LOL hate to tell you but when it comes to scuffing a 0.01" layer of paint would not do anything to protect chrome parts from scuffing. Certainly FoMoCo did not simply stack bumpers like cord wood?

Offline specialed

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 11:54:04 AM »
Qikb  would be interesting to know exactly what that bumper protectant was coated with & wonder if it was a film left on the bumpers after the chrome was polished & if it was also on the backside as well?  The 3'' round paper decal you are talking about on windshield was probably the day of month car was to be finished. Do you remember wiper blades having a plastic bag covering them when delivered & did dealer mount or remove the front bracket if that state didn't use front plates as part of pre-delivery?  Thanks ed

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 10:51:52 PM »
LOL hate to tell you but when it comes to scuffing a 0.01" layer of paint would not do anything to protect chrome parts from scuffing. Certainly FoMoCo did not simply stack bumpers like cord wood?

I don't mind telling you that even a thin layer of lacquer or similar would indeed protect against the type of abrasion I'm talking about. Let's say the bumpers were in racks, perhaps with rubber padding where the bumpers made contact. Dust or dirt on such padding would be enough to abrade the chrome, given vibration and movement in shipping. Same for whatever assembly workers might have on their hands and clothing. Not talking big dents & scratches here, but minor cosmetic scuffs or burnishing.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:51:16 AM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline azscj

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 11:23:22 PM »
Never removed the "chain down plates", aka tie down brackets.  Thats what research seems to indicate from what I have heard. 
Did you ever take any pictures from those days when you were at the dealership?  Do you still live in NY area?
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

http://www.anghelrestorations.com/
https://www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations

Offline specialed

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 12:52:04 AM »
Hmm if dealers never removed the tie-down plates then why did I keep finding them (with the bolts still in the holes) in old ford dealers I visited back in the 80s & 90s.  I still got a box full of the short ones here yet that I would like to get rid of as I mainly only picked up the long brackets & sold many years ago. I remember finding a pile of the long brackets under a workbench in a western ford dealers storage shed & I loaded so many in back of my van that I was afraid of overweight for the long trip back home (as I was loaded down) & left some behind & they may still be there as 25 years ago nobody cared much about them back then.

Offline azscj

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 02:10:56 AM »
Yes yes....I remember you telling me that.  I should have been more specific and said that they were not sent back.  They did sometimes (not always) remove them off the cars even though they had the stickers on the back to remind dealers to remove them.  But there was no program to send these brackets back to Ford. 
Next time you are in Phoenix we can go to Desert Valley and almost all of the cars have tie down brackets still on them. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

http://www.anghelrestorations.com/
https://www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations

Offline specialed

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »
maybe the single hooks are still on some at desert valley but no dual hooks as I got them YEARS ago  & hidden valley had way more cars back 15-20 years ago when I went there first time I spent well over $5.000.00  at hidden valley alone & there were 6 moore great yards in central AZ. back years ago.

Offline QikBBStang

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 01:22:09 AM »
I just dug out my NOS 67 Mustang's rear bumper that on the paper wrapper showed a 1976 delivery date. Sure enough the "film" is on the bumper exactly as I recalled. I took a few pictures -kind of hard to show it in pictures but this captures what factory fresh cars bumpers looked like when I had to get the stuff off. You can see the way it has "drip/run" thicker sections which would be the last to dissolve. Definitely had to use elbow grease and rub it to get it off. Around the "chrome" bumper bolt heads it was impossible to get in close  - hence the "protectant" rings around/under the bolt heads and also the "protectant"  lingering where the body components hinder getting to the "protectant"

I'd also add that "protectant" would likely have been left where it was out of sight by the guy who's job it was to prep the new car. Example being underside of bumper above license plate - where unless someone gets down on their knees it won't be seen.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy359/qikbbstang/SAM_2380.jpg
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:08:13 PM by QikBBStang »