Author Topic: Exhaust Manifold Finish?  (Read 8652 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Exhaust Manifold Finish?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »
Tech line is a good product . I have used it before as a lower priced alternative to the jet hot. For maximum protection it needs tone baked prior to installation / engine fire up. It will last longer that way. Place in town that powder coats also does the tech line and say that is what the MFG recommends . Powder coat guys already have the big ovens to do any baking. Like I said not a have to situation but the best if you do it. I have done it both ways and the extra baking does give better long term results IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 05:41:35 PM »
Jeff, has your experience been that the Colorguard holds up with engine use ?

Haven't driven the cars allot the one example was done 5 plus years ago and no ill effects yet. Like the fact that it does not change the texture and look of the metal (important out here since we don't have the pitting issues other areas have) like some that have the dipped in plastic look.

Some have used the product for cast iron transmission cases and other parts for many years. Not like these cars are beat and used as they were much of their early years
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »
I like that stuff Jeff is showinq.  It is probably one of those Siloxane products like industrial plants use on their very hot smokestacks.  They are rated at 1200deqF continuous and 1400transient.

They are very finnicky to the correct surface profile after blastinq and they must be treated very qently until they are cured.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 07:45:05 AM »
Took a couple of days to dig it out

And a few examples of the finished look

Looks great! I saw this post when you initially posted it and thought I'd most likely use this product...I looked for it yesterday and did not find any retail source. I see the phone number and Murrieta Ca. address, is this the best way to source this product? It does not look to be available "Retail".
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »
Looks great! I saw this post when you initially posted it and thought I'd most likely use this product...I looked for it yesterday and did not find any retail source. I see the phone number and Murrieta Ca. address, is this the best way to source this product? It does not look to be available "Retail".

Looked through their catalog posted on their site, they have a ton of products but it appears that the stuff is still listed just not on their web site for easy click and buy. They do appear to be a supplier to industry and individual sales outside that seem to be for powder coating only at the moment.

Found the product available on the UK version of EBay. There the heading lists "aluminum" though if you read the test is lists three different finishes were available but it's priced really high

From the site
ColorGard Cast Iron Gray (Part #CHK)-    Available in 4-ounce can, Quart and Gallon to professional applicators only.

Since you don't use allot of product (its not cheap) once found someone might want to get two or three people together and split a quart. Or find someone that knows a company that does ceramic coating and have them apply it or would purchase it for you.   There is another option but rather not suggest it in an open forum ;)

Wonder how many similar products there are out there just like this one

Just a thought
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »
Another thought. Brush on is easier to touch up after installation.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 07:53:05 PM »
My local powder coater uses the Techline products for their high heat coatings. I bought some several years ago and applied it myself but now for convenience let the powdercoat co do the work prepping and applying the product . It is a lot less hassle and the cost vs hassle aspect makes sense for my circumstances.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »
My local powder coater uses the Techline products for their high heat coatings. I bought some several years ago and applied it myself but now for convenience let the powdercoat co do the work prepping and applying the product . It is a lot less hassle and the cost vs hassle aspect makes sense for my circumstances.

Having a shop to do powder coated ceramic coating is the way to go.  I did the same (can't remember the exact product used) but was very pleased with the results.
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »

I get it, the hassle of getting this done as a Do-It-Yourselfer and the associated costs...Very TRUE.
Nonetheless, I took the plunge and bought a quart of the Tech Line "CHK" yesterday and no, it is NOT at all available to the general public but fortunately, I am in the "Auto" business ;), a shoe-in to their online store.

From the online product description:
ColorGard is a ceramic reinforced coating designed to be applied primarily to automotive exhaust components. Due to its unique ceramic nature, the coating also functions as a very effective thermal barrier while reducing thermal radiation. The coating cures to a very hard, durable surface with excellent adhesion. Most ColorGard coatings can be applied over PrevCor, MCS or HHBK to increase corrosion resistance, withstand higher substrate temperature, or increase thermal barrier functions.

ColorGard coatings achieve full cure in an oven at  between 650oF and 750°F for one hour (can be partially oven cured at 500°F for one hour and finished on vehicle):

ColorGard Black (Part #CGBK)
Color stable at substrate temperatures of over 1300°F, environmental temperatures up to 1600°F.
Available in 4-ounce can, Quart and Gallon to professional applicators only.
ColorGard White (Part #CGW)
Color stable at substrate temperatures of over 1400°F, environmental temperatures up to 1800°F.
ColorGard Shiny Aluminum (Part #CGSA)
Two part mix gives a semi-reflective, bright aluminum appearance.
Color stable at substrate temperatures of over 1300°F surface temperature, environmental temperatures up to 1600°F.
ColorGard Matte Aluminum (Part #ALK)
Color stable at substrate temperatures of over 1300°F, environmental temperatures up to 1600°F.
ColorGard Grey Ice (Part #GHK)
Dark Grey color, somewhat metallic appearance.
Color stable at substrate temperatures of over 1300°F, environmental temperatures up to 1800°F.
Available in Quart and Gallon to professional applicators only.
ColorGard Titanium (Part #TIK)
ColorGard Cast Iron Gray (Part #CHK)
ColorGard Red (Part #CGRD)
Available in Quart and Gallon to professional applicators only.

I also bought a quart of Tech Line Coatings "PCI" Rust Inhibitor to spray onto the manifolds first (part of their online recommendations).
PREVCOR™ CORROSION INHIBITOR

From the online description:
PrevCor™ is a metallic ceramic coating capable of providing extremely high levels of corrosion and chemical protection in very thin films. PrevCor is designed to be a base coat to enhance the corrosion capabilities of non-metallic ceramic coatings. PrevCor requires no baking prior to top coating. Simply allow to dry completely, lightly etch and then apply the top coat. PrevCor will withstand substrate temperatures of over 1300°F. Direct flame will not cause delamination, as long as substrate temperatures do not exceed this temperature. PrevCor will handle environmental temperatures of up to 1600°F. PrevCor can be cured with a top coat at any temperature required by the top coat, as long as the minimum temperature is over 350°F.

Designed as a base coat to enhance corrosion protection.
Also a good thermal barrier.
Thin film application
Spray, allow to dry completely, lightly etch, then apply the top coat (non-metallic coating).
Flexible
Survives bending and flexing.
Water based, easy cleanup, no VOCs.
Cures to a very hard surface with excellent adhesion, requires no burnishing.
Part #PCI available in Quart & Gallon. For professional applicators only.

I am curious about the inhibitor, the color at least, but I will use it as instructed & report back once completed. It may be a couple weeks till I have everything readied, including the use of a 700 degree oven for an hour.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:43:57 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 12:43:34 PM »
I get it, the hassle of getting this done as a Do-It-Yourselfer and the associated costs...Very TRUE.
Nonetheless, I took the plunge and bought a quart of the Tech Line "CHK" yesterday and no, it is NOT at all available to the general public but fortunately, I am in the "Auto" business ;), a shoe-in to their online store.

...I also bought a quart of Tech Line Coatings "PCI" Rust Inhibitor to spray onto the manifolds first (part of their online recommendations).
PREVCOR™ CORROSION INHIBITOR
...I am curious about the inhibitor, the color at least, but I will use it as instructed & report back once completed. It may be a couple weeks till I have everything readied, including the use of a 700 degree oven for an hour.

RE: PREVCOR, Swing-n-a-Miss in my opinion for my overall satisfaction because it sprays out the color of light grey primer (when dried).

The PREVCOR [PREV(ents)-COR(rosion)] also arrives as an oily/water-like substance (allows for water clean-up) and it separates in the plastic jar that it arrives in. (as seen from outside the plastic jar).

I did spray it on my manifolds under the CHK ceramic coating for the very fact I am in a very high humidity climate and for the most part, my unheated garage is prone to cause issues on vehicles stored inside. I do plan on one of those Car Jackets to help with the long cold winters, but I also hope this helps too.

My manifolds are looking a bit glossy while in the oven (as I write this), hoping they dull up some like what Jeff showed earlier.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:45:58 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2021, 09:14:56 PM »
RE: PREVCOR, Swing-n-a-Miss in my opinion for my overall satisfaction because it sprays out the color of light grey primer (when dried).

The PREVCOR [PREV(ents)-COR(rosion)] also arrives as an oily/water-like substance (allows for water clean-up) and it separates in the plastic jar that it arrives in. (as seen from outside the plastic jar).

I did spray it on my manifolds under the CHK ceramic coating for the very fact I am in a very high humidity climate and for the most part, my unheated garage is prone to cause issues on vehicles stored inside. I do plan on one of those Car Jackets to help with the long cold winters, but I also hope this helps too.

My manifolds are looking a bit glossy while in the oven (as I write this), hoping they dull up some like what Jeff showed earlier.

What was your final verdict on this?  Did they come out as nice as Jeff's?
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2021, 03:39:54 PM »
Anybody have experience with cerakote?