Author Topic: What is the most options on a Mustang located so far?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline 1950fordcoupe

What is the most options on a Mustang located so far?
« on: January 29, 2016, 02:29:35 PM »
New member here but had mustangs since the 70's. I ordered a 1973 Mach 1 new and when I went to the dealer he told me I was crazy. When I heard all the gloom and doom coming I knew that 73 was the last chance to get anything that was worth keeping so I went and order one. I told the salesman that I wanted every option that I could get. We sat down with the big dealer info book and started. I have the original had written order form, the Two original window stickers, too many options for one, and went back and got the dealer invoice. I have my receipts where I paid for it. The car has a little over 12,000 miles and has not be moved since 1983. I did take to MCA nationals then and took 3rd. place in unrestored original. I was told several things were not correct on the car even though I was original owner and had all the documents. So I never went back. It has not been washed since then either.
The car has 32 factory installed options and 8 dealer options for a total of 40 Ford options. Of course it is a Mach 1 Q code 4 speed. I just attached scans of the order, stickers and invoice so I won't list all the options here.
I am a member on the 7173mustangs.com forum. One other member has a 73 Mach 1 Corporate order car that has one less option. Some how they missed the Traction Loc rear. His is automatic with AM/FM mine 4 speed with AM/8track. It was my date car so didn't get used much and when the oil embargo hit it got parked. I could not buy enough gas to get back and forth to work. I also had a 1950 Ford, a 1971 Maverick Grabber and a 84 Suzuki motorcycle. It sits in the barn with cover on it and flat tires some of which were NOS Goodyear RWL I put on for the MCA show. My work and family took the last 30+ years of my life. I am just getting back into the cars again. I plan to take apart and do just a deep detail no paint or anything like that. Got to get the garage built first but weather prevents the start.
I have 2 73 Mustang convertibles one with 48,000 miles all original. 3 72 Mustang convertibles one is a Q code automatic one of 330 built. Also have two 65 convertibles one A code with 4 speed and the other C code with automatic. I have a Towne Top for each of them which is pretty rare.
The one picture was taken just before 73 went to the barn.
Would like to hear of other high optioned cars out there.
David

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: What is the most options on a Mustang located so far?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 04:24:52 PM »
Wow, cool car and story!

If you really want to know how your options rank, contact Kevin Marti. He will do custom research on his database, for a fee of course. It doesn't include pre-'67, but you would know how yours compares to '67 and up.

I don't think I could bring myself to take apart a car in such good condition with only 12K miles on it. Remember to take LOTS of pics before!!! Start by photographing every nut, bolt and screw, and then add more detail as needed  :D
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 04:42:28 PM »
My experience is that in general you'll find more loaded 73's than any other year - especially convertibles. Allot of people went out and purchased what was suppose to be the last real Mustang convertible so many threw every option they could on the order form. Bill Harrah basically did the same every year but he normally also purchased the most expensive or largest Ford products
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tobkob

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 09:43:45 PM »
I don't think I could bring myself to take apart a car in such good condition with only 12K miles on it. Remember to take LOTS of pics before!!! Start by photographing every nut, bolt and screw, and then add more detail as needed

+1 ...Maybe just a good clean up & detailing.
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline 1950fordcoupe

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 05:13:36 PM »
I did contact Marti and he said he could not search the data in that way. I guess he would have to go one by one and see which had the most.
As far as cleaning it I don't see how I could without taking it apart. Not washed or anything since 1983.
Not ever going to try to show it again after the bad experience in the past just want it to look good again for my son who has never rode in the car and he is 34.
David

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 05:31:53 PM »
Not ever going to try to show it again after the bad experience in the past...

Keep in mind that things have changed a lot in 30+ years. In 1983, this was "just a ten-year-old car". It has more historical value now, and there is a much greater understanding of what is correct. In general, there is a much higher level of appreciation for your Mustang and the condition it is in.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 1950fordcoupe

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 06:04:05 PM »
Dave,
I never understood their setting rules for only one way for something to be on the cars. I worked in the automotive world supplying Ford with stampings and assemblies. I was at launch of new vehicles and I saw how the assembly line people were. If a bolt ran low on the line they would substitute what ever fit to keep the line going. They put the wrong rear in my car and I broke it three times before Ford sent a field rep to look at it and as soon as he walked under the car he say the U-joint was the small one not the big one for Q code. Didn't break another after they changed it again.
I actually let a 1972 Q code 4 speed T-5 Mach1 rust away in the back yard didn't have time to work on it. It had 32,000 miles on it. I did take most of the interior out and put in bags but left the door panels that ruined.
David

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »
I always thought my S code 'vert had the most options I had ever seen on a '67.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 01:15:15 PM »
Excellent story....remember it is only unrestored until it is not....not very profound, but I think you know what I am saying.

In my opinion, original dust and patina are more captivating than clean and polished.  I can walk past many perfectly restored cars with my destination being that dirty grimy original.

Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline 1950fordcoupe

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 02:07:20 PM »
Not going to restore it just clean it. It is not really dirty just dusty and a few snake skins around.
It will probably never be at a show unless my son chooses to take it.
I have a 1950 ford custom tudor that is same way. Has 16,000 miles on it and not touched. Has original tires, belts and most of the hoses. Inside is like new but paint fell off. There is not a dent or rust hole anywhere just surface rust. What you see in the pictures is a factory original car. I did put new front floor mat because the guy that bought it at estate sale tore the perfect original out to put carpet in. Luckily I got it before he did anything else. It has some rare options, turn signals, rear window wiper and rear window louvers seen laying in the back package tray. 69 boss was not first, lol. It didn't have a radio. It sits in the same barn with the 73 and a 56 and a 57 Ford and another 50. These cars use to be everywhere with no miles.