Author Topic: front and rear fasteners to license plate bracket  (Read 3119 times)

Offline mach1one

front and rear fasteners to license plate bracket
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:30:39 PM »
it seems that most restore their cars using slotted screws to attach thier license plates to the front and rear bracket. I have seen on original cars what appears to be hex head screws to attach the plates. Is it that both these style fasteners were used but since the slotted screws are the only ones in reproduction that we see these on most show cars? Is it a factory thing. What do judges consider correct for 69-70 dearborn cars Thanks Lu

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: front and rear fasteners to license plate bracket
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 04:06:48 PM »
The hex head with the wide flanged edge with a diamond marking in the middle. This type was supplied in a envelope in the glove box from the factory. I believe that dealers had supplies of these as well. I am not sure of usage in the 69 model year at the other plants though. I am sure some were misplaced and the generic slotted type substitute at the dealer as well.  The slotted head screw design with it's own variations was used on various earlier year cars. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 09:30:52 AM »
Ive seen several variations of the one Bob described. All are basically the same and phosphate but in addition to the diamond there is one with no head marking and another with RBW and a dot in the middle just like some of the accessory bracket hardware. I've started assembling the 68 Shelby factory mounting kits that include the correct hardware, bracket and mounting template.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 10:50:44 PM »
Tim,I came across a paper template of the mounting holes for the front 68 license plate bracket I am sure that would have been included with the bracket. It was still in the glove box of a KR that Jeff Y. had in his shop. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 05:19:09 PM »
Yes it is included with the kit. I have one and made a bunch of copies. The bag should have 6 plate fasteners, 4 nylon nuts, rubber plate bumpers, the plate frame and the template.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 11:26:22 PM »
Would agree that the hex headed marked mounting screws are correct for the Dearborn application

For San Jose at least - have seen more of the flat pan head machine screws used
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:23:59 AM »
Would agree that the hex headed marked mounting screws are correct for the Dearborn application

For San Jose at least - have seen more of the flat pan head machine screws used
Jeff, do you see the application change by model year? We also see those out here also but more 67 and older.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »

Jeff, do you see the application change by model year? We also see those out here also but more 67 and older.

First I would report that its always hard to assure ourselves that they are the same ones that came with the car.  Can't recall ever seeing anything but the flat pan heads on 67 or earlier Sj cars. and only a handful of the cars after that have had the hex heads
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)