Author Topic: Supplemental underdash insulation - 71 convertible  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Mike.Griese

Supplemental underdash insulation - 71 convertible
« on: July 21, 2016, 10:04:29 AM »
I am looking for a source for material to replace an under dash/firewall pad that was on my '71 convertible.  This is not the pad that fits between the A/C and the firewall - this is in addition to that pad.  The material is similar to jute but not as heavy.  It had a thin plastic vapor barrier type surface on one side, with the other side left open.  You can see it here:
--
Mike

'71 Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Supplemental underdash insulation - 71 convertible
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »
I have not found anything of similar material available. Much that is close is to heavy to hang upside down and comes apart or unstuck in a short time. Many owners just leave it off but if you want something to at least insulate the sound and sort of look correct I've made the a replacement in the past out of headliner insulation (or water heater wrap - stripped down to an appropriate thickness) then glued a thin black trash bag or very thin black plastic sheets for the correct look from below

Since ti might be seen I would used the pale yellow over the pink insulation just so it doesn't stand out any more than it has to

Just what I've done at times in the past
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tobkob

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 10:52:09 PM »
A thought just occurred to me as I was reading this (uh oh), it may be way off base but the cheap insulated suspended ceiling tile is very light weight. Has anyone ever tried to paint the white surface black and use it on the firewall? As I said just a thought, never tried it but I think it would be less likely to come loose than some of the other options.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline MattDoscher

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 10:53:22 PM »
My wife's '65 Comet convertible has the same under dash insulation/sound deadener still on it.  Looks to be just held in place w/ spray adhesive. 

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline Mike.Griese

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 11:16:49 PM »
Looks like I have a few things to try. 
--
Mike

'71 Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 01:32:47 AM »
A thought just occurred to me as I was reading this (uh oh), it may be way off base but the cheap insulated suspended ceiling tile is very light weight. Has anyone ever tried to paint the white surface black and use it on the firewall? As I said just a thought, never tried it but I think it would be less likely to come loose than some of the other options.

Ya that would look factory    ::)   

:)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tobkob

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »
 ;D
TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.