Author Topic: Coupe Package tray paint  (Read 2459 times)

Offline rrenz

Coupe Package tray paint
« on: August 16, 2016, 07:01:17 PM »
In the process of replacing my package tray. I haven't received the new piece yet however I have been experimenting with some masonite with different paints and primers. Im curious what tips you guys may have as far as paint brand and type.  Will be painted black.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:35:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Package tray paint
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:24:39 PM »
If its going black I would not use any primer just a nice coat of your favorite brand of paint. The material will wick up the product and color well if applied from different angles
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 66 Package tray paint
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:55:18 PM »
I usually use vinyl dye, but any paint should be fine.  This part should be low gloss like the interior.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rrenz

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 06:44:18 AM »
I was considering the vinyl paint from dupli color. I've had good luck with that in the past.

If its going black I would not use any primer just a nice coat of your favorite brand of paint. The material will wick up the product and color well if applied from different angles

sounds good. Thanks Jeff
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline jwc66k

Re: Coupe Package tray paint
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »
On a couple of 65-66 Hardtops I help restore, we used semi-gloss black (the interiors were black to start with) from a spray can. The aftermarket material sucked up the paint so more than one coat was required.
On my own 66 Hardtop, I put a 1/2 inch thick layer of foam rubber on the tray sheet and covered it with black naugahyde prior to cutting two 6 by 9 inch holes for speakers. It is not a permanent mod, no metal wa cut.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 06:40:18 PM »
I was considering the vinyl paint from dupli color. I've had good luck with that in the past.

sounds good. Thanks Jeff
How good is the vinyl paint on vinyl?  I'm thinking about going with a vinyl package tray when I take out the 6x9s that are not doing anything back there (and probably 20 years old), but I'd like to match it to the Guardsman Blue that the car is becoming this week (and the vinyl blues I'm finding aren't quite right).  Would getting a white tray and using the paint give a good result?

Offline rrenz

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 08:32:24 PM »
Ive used it on two dash pads. First was on a 79 trans am. it came out nice and held up well. The other was on an old f150 i had. drove it almost every day and it also held up well. Both were done in black so as far as color matching I can't say however if cleaned and prepped properly i think its a pretty good product. For what its worth I just used it on my cardboard package tray and it came out very nice.
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »
Thanks, always wondered how good the vinyl paint was.  Keeping that as an option.  Fortunately I was able to get samples sent to me by both TMI and DI so I can see what they look like in person.  The masonite tray I got a couple decades ago I just sprayed with white spray paint, since interior is white, and it still looks pretty good.  Can always go that route again, only in blue, if I can't get vinyl that pleases me.