Author Topic: Started to work on the 1970 Mach 1  (Read 419 times)

Offline redmach69

Started to work on the 1970 Mach 1
« on: December 20, 2016, 06:25:28 PM »
Hi guys, I've started to service the Oct. 69 Metuchen built mach 1 I asked your opinions about. I am finding I'm going to have to replace some things if I want to drive it. The leaking radiator is too far gone to fix according to the shop I took it to, also the water pump bypass nipple broke off when I removed the hose so I bought a water pump. I've decided to replace items with as close to concours reproduction parts as I can get. I am of course keeping every last thing I remove from the car. I am finding all manner of chalk marks and paint dabs, ford part numbers (even the fan belts have ford part numbers starting with d0, the plugs are autolite bf 42s) I've been taking lots of photos of everything. I think I am going to clean things but not paint anything to preserve the unrestored look. I don't know what else to do, its either replace some of these original parts or just have the car to look at, and I really want to drive it. A question for you guys, the heater core is bypassed can I run a hose from the water pump to the intake, I thought i would leave the factory hoses where they are and try run the replacement as unobtrusively as possible, will the cooling system bleed out ok if I do this. I just don't think I can bear right now the thoughts of pulling the never touched dash out of the car to put a core in (it is an a/c car) More pics of the stuff I am finding coming soon! Thanks for your opinions.