Author Topic: Oct 64 SJ FB Coil Springs / Strut Rod Markings  (Read 1500 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Oct 64 SJ FB Coil Springs / Strut Rod Markings
« on: January 04, 2017, 08:33:23 PM »
Thought I would start a new thread on this.  So I placed the passenger side front coil spring in evaporust and I found what appears to be a light gray stripe (A code, automatic, Factory AC, and power steering) that if the spring is installed, it would be on the inside and not really visible if looking in the wheel-well .  I have the driver side currently soaking.   Also there appears to be another stripe close to it but not sure if that is from something else as it doesn't appear to be like the other stripe.  Also I didn't see a stripe on the other side of the spring.  Is this the norm, the stripe not visible once installed in the car?  Also Jeff, I did find some trace amount of yellow on the driver side strut.  Nothing on the passenger side but it may have been worn off...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:25:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Oct 64 SJ FB Coil Springs / Strut Rod
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
Yes its not uncommon to find the stripe away from view once installed since the stripes were applied off the car. But since about 3/4rds of the spring face is visible from the outside most of the time it is.

It appears you have found your markings for the springs (identification) and the sprayed on over/under stripe we discussed a few times in earlier threads.

Thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

Re: Oct 64 SJ FB Coil Springs / Strut Rod Markings
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:04:30 PM »
Sorry Jeff, I'm confused. So the second stripe is supposed to be there and it is sprayed on? It appears to be more white in color than the other which is definitely gray. I attached some other pics after resoaking the passenger side.

Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:47:50 PM »
Sorry Jeff, I'm confused. So the second stripe is supposed to be there and it is sprayed on? It appears to be more white in color than the other which is definitely gray. I attached some other pics after resoaking the passenger side.

No problem let me try and explain what the current understanding is.

The spring was marked with the identifying stripe or stripes  - in your case the gray stripe, with a brush

Springs were tested to see if they were within the optimum range they were rated for. If the springs were out of range but only slightly (cost saving measure) they were marked (different worker in a different part of the spring plant) them with a white spray stripe.

Once the springs were on the line workers were instructed to when using this white marked springs for an application (in your case the gray specified application) they were to place two white spray springs from that bin so that at least they matched.

My Cougar has springs marked (the white) the same. Only car I've owned with those spray markings.

So yes the spray was original to your springs. Other owners with cars such as yours likely will not find those, only the gray stripes.

Hope this helps explain
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 07:56:54 PM »
Thanks Jeff for that information regarding the second stripe that is white.  Now, I just pulled the driver side coil spring out of the evaporist and it only has the gray stripe, no remnants or indication it ever had a white spray stripe.  Did someone forget to install the matching spring in this case?
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 08:42:40 PM »
....  Did someone forget to install the matching spring in this case?

Might not have been applied as heavy or just the elements were harder on that spring then the other or maybe the workers mess-up. Can't always explain why something was done 50 years ago. Only can share what we understand, have been told, have researched ........ ;)
Jeff Speegle