Author Topic: '69 Mustang: Reproduction Door Hinges  (Read 2290 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'69 Mustang: Reproduction Door Hinges
« on: July 25, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »
I'm in the middle of restoring a '69 Mach 1, and I need some opinions on what to do about my door hinges.  The upper and lower hinges for the driver's side of the car are fine; I'll probably put new bushings and pins in them and call it a day. 

The passenger side hinges are really, really worn out. The bushings are long gone in both hinges, and the holes have elongated substantially as a result.  They could be welded, re-drilled, and fixed, but not easily. I hate to drop $100 for two reproduction hinges--especially when I've heard virtually nothing about their quality--but I don't really see any other option.  Trying to find a set of usable or buildable hinges would be a crap shoot also.  Are the reproduction hinges any good?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: '69 Mustang: Reproduction Door Hinges
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 01:42:18 PM »
I would try to find a used set and replace the pins and bushings or you might get lucky and find a good used set for the passenger side as that side is normally not worn out as much as the driver side as it gets a fraction of the use. As for as reproduction hinges, I would not even consider this as I have had issues with N.O.S hinges not drilled correctly causing the door not to fit up. I will look to see if I have a passenger set I am willing to part with and let you know. Send me your email address.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
Re: '69 Mustang: Reproduction Door Hinges
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »
If you end up rebuilding s/h hinges here is a guide for you;

http://www.andrewsmach1.com/pages/mustangresto/doorhinges/doorhingerepair.html
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969