Author Topic: Reference Photo Album from Survivor cars?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
Reference Photo Album from Survivor cars?
« on: March 27, 2017, 10:20:55 AM »
Hey Gang,

In my other car realm, we have a section that shows reference photos from two very low mileage survivor cars.  It's an easy thing to have with them since those cars were only built at one plant during a 6 month time span, so a lot of consistency. A very handy thing to have and it's helped me a ton on the restoration of my A12 Super Bee. 

I thought with how many Mustangs were built and how many are restored to Gold, there'd be some sort of database or collection of photos on this site or at least online somewhere.  I have found a lot with the search function, but it's sporadic and contains other Years mixed in. 

Are there any photo threads, online links, etc. to survivor cars for 1968 Dearborn built Mustangs?  I'm just starting into the restoration of my 12/19/67 Dearborn built, S-Code 68 GT Fastback and I'm starting the research on the undercarriage finishes so when I shoot the primer and such I know the pattern, etc. 

I have a good grasp of what gets what color sprayed where, but would love to see untouched examples and especially cars concourse restored as a reference.

Thanks for the help folks.

Cheers
Dave
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee -MCACN Gold 2017
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)..390-4spd, deluxe interior, both consoles,  convenience group,  reflective group, 8000 rpm tach,  AM 8-Track, fold down seat,  tinted glass,  all paperwork/ numbers matching, built late December

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Reference Photo Album from Survivor cars?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:03:02 PM »
Its always difficult to figure out how to present and share information since there are so many different ways to arrange the information, so many variables and we each learn/process things differently. 

Nice clean unrestored are difficult to find - and their numbers are shrinking daily. At the same time any restored car is going to have old information, things that were incorrect when restored  and it can be disrespectful to comment on those details unless we've been asked by the owner.

Don't think you will find an exact match but that should not be a deterrent since the same people that painted a T code or even a Cougar  at Dearborn in December used similar products and processes as they did on your car.  390 cars in general are difficult IMHO to find pictures of since few were left original though have helped build a number of 68 S codes that were successfully shown nationally.

There is no easy button. Most seem to focus on an area, ask questions, evaluate responses and findings than move onto the next subject. Too many variables to cover each plant, time period, all the options, accessories, body styles and so on.

Looking at what has been posted I see a late 68 Dearborn T code coupe thread at this moment. Speaking of my collection of pictures I have few good undercarriage pictures for 68 Dearborn cars as I do San Jose - just due to access and it seems few owners focus on anything other than engine compartment, interior and exterior.

I invite you to post in the 67-8 section and start a discussion. Hopefully examples will be offered. In the meantime I'll see if I can post a thread or two of 68 Dearborn examples.

Are there any photo threads, online links, etc. to survivor cars for 1968 Dearborn built Mustangs?  I'm just starting into the restoration of my 12/19/67 Dearborn built, S-Code 68 GT Fastback and I'm starting the research on the undercarriage finishes so when I shoot the primer and such I know the pattern, etc. 

I have a good grasp of what gets what color sprayed where, but would love to see untouched examples and especially cars concourse restored as a reference.

Hopefully you had some original floor color (firewall rearward) as well as front frame color from the original panels.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)