Author Topic: 65 Dearborn (Feb 65) painting procedure  (Read 532 times)

Offline fmr187

65 Dearborn (Feb 65) painting procedure
« on: September 01, 2019, 07:45:43 PM »
I know the front fenders were painted off the car. Were the head light buckets attached to the fenders at painting or were they painted separately? If separately were the screws for the head light doors left un painted? My screw heads have paint on them.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:49:56 PM by J_Speegle »
65 Convertible born in Dearborn on Feb 10

Online jwc66k

Re: 65 painting procedure
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 07:58:02 PM »
All the front end pieces were painted off the car, fenders, buckets, headlight doors, valence, deflector, grill panel bar and hood. No hardware used on any of those items was painted. The only painted hardware on the entire car is for the trunk lid hinge, door hinges and two screws for the rear valence to leave it hanging for painting.
Get a set of 65 Mustang Assembly Manuals. The procedures become more apparent.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 painting procedure
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 10:25:06 PM »
Only parts of the car that were assembled when it was primered & painted were the doors, trunk lid, rear bumper guard lower brackets,  rear valance (only attached for your year and plant with all the top edge screws) and the end caps may have been spaced outward slightly possibly with one nut holding them to the car. Seems to be done during some of the 65 production period at Dearborn

ALL the front sheet metal was painted off the car. Painting of any hardware other than needed for the above process is likely just by product of an earlier paint job of touch up. Much of this has been discussed in other threads
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:50:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)