Author Topic: C6 trans Vin number  (Read 1680 times)

Offline preaction

C6 trans Vin number
« on: June 29, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
Is this typical of a mustang C6 transmission vin stamping,   9R*131845   also this trans has a G servo. This C6 was in my 68 mustang when I purchased it in San Francisco. Seems to be from a 69 and not my car.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: C6 trans Vin number
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:45:00 PM »
Typically 1968 and later transmission have derivative serial numbers

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 04:19:09 AM »
If it was the original from your car it would match your car's serial number except the body code and engine codes are omitted. Same as the VIN stamp on the engine.

Is this typical of a mustang C6 transmission vin stamping,   9R*131845   also this trans has a G servo. This C6 was in my 68 mustang when I purchased it in San Francisco. Seems to be from a 69 and not my car.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »
 I am not sure if this explanation is right for your car but it is for many. It was typical for transmission shops back in the day to treat a transmission case as just a generic core .Cores were not kept track of and if a different one was already cleaned up or even completely rebuilt a switch was made. It was not seen or meant as underhanded just the way it was done when the cars were all drivers. Now days a C6 core is less common and even "if " you didn't ask to have your own core rebuilt they probably would because other cores are less likely to be on hand.This core switcheroo is one of the more common explanations for why a original transmission case is not with a given car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 01:03:16 PM »
I am not sure if this explanation is right for your car but it is for many. It was typical for transmission shops back in the day to treat a transmission case as just a generic core. -
Exactly. When faced with the time factor, 2 or 3 days (at least) to rebuild, or same day replacement, the same day option often won.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies don't get me wrong I'm not sad my car may not have its original transmission I purchased it as a used car and that comes with the territory I'm more curious about the stamping and if this is what a Vin on a 69 car would look like. Since the trans shop theory is a good one I believe could this be a trans from another car model ? For me the asterisk was a surprise.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 06:23:31 PM »
If it was the original from your car it would match your car's serial number except the body code and engine codes are omitted. Same as the VIN stamp on the engine.

Practice depends on plant and year in some cases there is only the sequential number on 68- up transmissions

preaction guess you found something like this example but have not seen one with an asterisk

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)