Author Topic: 67 Dearborn Sound Deadener & Seam sealer references  (Read 4867 times)

Offline brennancarey

Re: 67 Dearborn Sound Deadener & Seam sealer references
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 03:18:11 PM »
Thks Jeff.... !

If I may ask next  for some reference of the firewall sealer and sound deadener pls ?  On the fender aprons as I understand I just need sealer before paint and sound deadener comes after paint and assembly, so if you can hep me with the seam sealer req that would be great !

Thks
Brennan

67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 07:09:39 PM »
If I may ask next  for some reference of the firewall sealer and sound deadener pls ?  On the fender aprons as I understand I just need sealer before paint and sound deadener comes after paint and assembly, so if you can hep me with the seam sealer req that would be great !

As far as the firewall sealant - does your car have AC. Might be able to focus a little better if I can find some examples

For the wheel wells, borrowing from what we see in other adjoining years at that plant and 67 we can get a basic idea of where seam sealer was placed before the body color was applied

Basically seams got sealed along the firewall (in wheel well) to inner fender panel and across the top of the torque box. These seams are marked in purple in the pictures below.

Along with those but after painting the seams along the frame to floor (passenger side) as well as the torque box to frame on drivers side and along the inner fender panel to frame seam on both sides. These seams are marked in green below. Originally it was difficult to determine (with all the dirt and crud these examples are covered with) if this additional seams were covered before body paint was applied or if afterwards - with the front wheel well sound deadener was applied.  For others reading this thread It appears that during the time where you car was built there was a couple of other seams that got sealed that were "skipped" later in production at Dearborn so if you have a latter built car one would not expect to find this detail

For this plant and time period I believe these last seams were applied after body color and likely when the front wheel wells were sound deadened. Reason is that the one pattern on the drivers side goes over the brake line directly in front of the rear pattern. we also see where the product's down ward flow was stopped by the one upper steering box bolt and some suggestion at the forward inner picture where the bumper bracket was in place  Would be nice if I had an example with body color showing over all of these surfaces, would make this stand out more, but they are just too dirty to see that detail.

Same with this forward section of the inner fender panels - applied with the front wheel well sound deadener

Passenger side - Used a later example but will add in the horizontal seam sealer to illustrate

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 09:14:01 AM »
Thanks....

No there is no AC on this car. 

Ok ntd the before and after paint requirements for sealer and sound deadener, that is interesting to know.
It looks like the shock tower seams have no seam sealer is that correct ?
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 06:25:11 PM »
Thanks....

No there is no AC on this car. 

Ok ntd the before and after paint requirements for sealer and sound deadener, that is interesting to know.
It looks like the shock tower seams have no seam sealer is that correct ?

Correct no seam sealer on the shock tower to inner fender panels seam on either side front or rear seams.  That is an earlier detail for other years and plants
Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 01:40:24 AM »
Ok great news..  If I can just get the reference pls for the firewall sealer and deadener for my non AC car I should have all the details I need to get this done.  thks.. 8)
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 06:08:32 PM »
Ok great news..  If I can just get the reference pls for the firewall sealer and deadener for my non AC car I should have all the details I need to get this done.  thks.. 8)

The firewall sealant was applied after all the painting had taken place (so over the engine compartment black)  and was meant to seal all the openings, attachment points and pass throughs on the firewall. So things like the firewall pad, heater, heater hoses, master cylinder, hard brake lines, steering column, engine compartment wire loom and smaller looms, windshield washer parts, emergency brake cable, speedometer cable,  throttle (and if equipped) & clutch linkage, vacuum hoses and the like were installed before this application. Because some of these things got in the way and sometimes the workers skipped on tight or hard to get to corners a few areas were not always sealed fully.

Also one at least the lower screw cover was in place when the sealer (what Ford referred to as a adhesive) was applied. A second one was used for cars without power brakes which would be behind the booster once installed. I can't be certain that these were not used there on PB cars I've just not found one there yet on cars equipped that way.  So we would expect that these covers would get sealant applied over them also if in the path, which normally they were. Because these are made of a hard grey plastic the sealer did not stick well and hold up over time like other surrounding surfaces

The product sprayed to seal was a very thick sealant which does not appear very different than a slightly thinner sound deadener. This differs (the product) than other assembly plants that year.

Hope this helps 

Passenger side firewall

Drivers side firewall

Screw cover location

Lower just above throttle linkage

Upper to the inside of the master cylinder

Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »
Wow.. thats great, I realize now I cant do the firewall yet until I have installed all the required parts and I am a LONG way from that so I will have to park the firewall for now..

With regards to seam sealing on the cowl to firewall seam, how is this done, is it a messy brushable seam sealer ?

Also what about the door jams and trunk gutters and seams under the the quarter panel extensions, how messy does the sealer need to be on these areas?

Thks

67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 05:15:45 PM »
With regards to seam sealing on the cowl to firewall seam, how is this done, is it a messy brushable seam sealer ?

Reminder for others - these details are for 67 Dearborn only. If you have a different year or built at a different plant it will likely differ

If we're looking at the visible (once the car is assembled) area of the seam then its appears to be neater than the unexposed area but still a pit sloppy when compared (for example) what was done at San Jose. It was a black product that doesn't seem to hole up as well as other sealers. The focus was to seal the leading edge where the three panels overlap one another. During the process of wiping or brushing extra product was pushed or wiped above/behind that seam and allowed to drip down onto the face ion the firewall in some examples. Appears that the face (over the three seams) was smoothed or or at least they attempted to at the end of the application

Also what about the door jams and trunk gutters and seams under the the quarter panel extensions, how messy does the sealer need to be on these areas?

Those areas also appear to be a self leveling or smooth, almost not visible after exterior paint added, product. It was often applied thinly and or wiped off leaving the panels very visible in many cases. Amount of sealer varied as evident by the examples posted. Often see more sealer applied to the quarter panel to under rear window panel than at the lower/rear trunk corner filler panel seams. May be due to the sealer if they used a self leveling one since that seam could hold it where if the rear seams were left they would produce runs and interfere with the trunk gasket sealing

A pillar - With a little (IMHO more common) Almost not visible

Or allot of sealer

The black is just dirt and grim build up in the seam

Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 05:17:16 PM »
Some of my sealer pics after paint
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 09:32:55 PM »
Guess your going to add the pinch weld black out?

For other viewers now and in the future I wanted to take note that the  rear upper front fender bracket (last picture in your reply #23 and third picture in my reply #22) were painted body color/ installed when the body was painted. This was a 67-68 Dearborn practice and not shared at the other two plants during 67 production.

Just another example of why its important to use cars from the same plant and production period as examples for your restorations ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 02:47:29 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Yes not got around to the pinch weld blackout yet, but. its on the to do list. ;)

Thanks as always for your input and advise. It means so much to me !
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66