Author Topic: Stenciled numbers on evaporative emissions tanks in trunk  (Read 940 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Stenciled numbers on evaporative emissions tanks in trunk
« on: July 28, 2017, 04:41:43 AM »
The plastic evaporative emissions tanks that sit in the trunk of 1970 Californian cars have numbers painted/stencilled on them. I was wondering what those numbers relate to? Are they part numbers or manufacturing dates or something else?

Offline jwc66k

Re: Stenciled numbers on evaporative emissions tanks in trunk
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »
A photo would be nice.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 06:16:31 PM »
First the ones I have pictures of and have seen are not stenciled on the part but instead appear to be stamped

The code appears to be a manufacturers date code with a couple of additional codes to identify plant and possibly shift, though all of the ones I have pictures so far show onl "PB" as the extension/end of the code. Often has addition hand marking as well as the decals on the upper wheel house extension

Rear tank/vent is also normally stamped and the forward tank/vent is not always stamped int he location shown above
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:23:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »
Jeff, thanks for the correction in it being stamped. I only have a partial on the rear tank (remains of a letter and a number) and so it's good to be able to fill in the blanks.