Author Topic: Batch/Slop vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn  (Read 4607 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Slop gray vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 12:06:28 AM »
In general when the black paint was applied to the engine compartment and radiator support, etc. , how was the already painted body protected from overspray?

Have no idea. Have not been able to find one of the original painters and can't find any evidence of taping, masking or anything that would indicate what was used or how it was done.  Would believe that size of tip and lower pressure was different (less)  than what was used on the exterior and trunk areas. Like the pinch weld black out producing less overspray but that can't be the whole answer
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Wingman

Re: Slop gray vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 05:20:59 AM »
Hey guys!

New to the forum and in the process of restoring a 69 Mach 1, R-code.
Car is a Dearborn built car on 14th of March.

This is what mine looked like underneath. Would you say it’s oxide red? (Body color is Candy Apple Red).

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Batch/Slop gray vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 03:18:29 PM »
This is what mine looked like underneath. Would you say it’s oxide red? (Body color is Candy Apple Red).

Need to look further inboard near the center of the car. The areas your showed face outward and likely have allot or some exterior paint on them - can reach a long ways. Find three spots at least. One maybe in the driveline tunnel, once over the rear end  and one under the rear seat platform. Remove the sound deadener if there, all the grime and take a little light polishing compound, to remove any over spray and compare those.

And welcome to the site :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:33:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Wingman

Re: Batch/Slop vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 03:50:25 PM »
I checked the drive line tunnel and scarped the sound deadener off, did show any particular color, would probably say it looked like a greyish tone. Could it be that my car was painted slop grey?
Attached a picture of the inner side.

Also attached a picture of the right outer wheel well. Looks like pure metal, oxide and then body color.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:34:00 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Batch/Slop gray vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 04:58:49 PM »
I checked the drive line tunnel and scarped the sound deadener off, did show any particular color, would probably say it looked like a greyish tone. Could it be that my car was painted slop grey?
Attached a picture of the inner side.

Yes it appears to be one of the versions of batch grey as we would expect for a car built at Dearborn during the same time period

Also attached a picture of the right outer wheel well. Looks like pure metal, oxide and then body color.

Yes for that area that is what we would expect to see. Just the painter carrying the body color into what would become the front wheel well opening. How far forward would depend on what that painter did that day, on that car and on that side of the car. Other side could be the same or fade away at a different point
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:23:49 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Wingman

Re: Batch/Slop vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 03:37:08 AM »
Yes it appears to be one of the versions of slop grey as we would expect for a car built at Dearborn during the same time period

Yes for that area that is what we would expect to see. Just the painter carrying the body color into what would become the front wheel well opening. How far forward would depend on what that painter did that day, on that car and on that side of the car. Other side could be the same or fade away at a different point

Thanks for the valuable info and knowledge. Appreciate it a lot!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:34:23 PM by J_Speegle »