Author Topic: Ford parts  (Read 2150 times)

Offline ruppstang

Ford parts
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:57:26 PM »
  I installed a assembly line Carlite windshield with a NOS Ford gasket today. It was the first time to use original glass and a NOS seal. I could not believe how much better everything fit, including the SS trim. I was done with the front and back glass in about 3 hours.
I sure wish we could order the parts from Ford, not from China.
Marty

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Ford parts
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:25:15 AM »
That can be said for probably 90% or more for everything else. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »
Glad to hear this.   I always worry about NOS rubber.
Greg Z

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »
It's been 15-18 years since I put a new windshield in my 66 Hardtop. The shop supplied the windshield ($100 at the time) and I supplied the gaskets, front and rear (I wanted the cracked gasket changed on the rear window, the glass was OK). I supplied the NOS gaskets. The shop used one tube of sealer on the rear window, and four on the windshield. They said the thinner repro windshield was the problem not the gasket, but were happy I supplied NOS gaskets.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 11:58:03 PM »
I have known for a long time that ford parts were better than most reproduction parts but I was surprised that there was that much difference in the rubber. It only took a half a tube of sealent to seal the windshield.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »
Now you know why they sell for 10-15x the price of a repro. 

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
That can be said for probably 90% or more for everything else.
Now you know why they EVERY OE Ford Service Part sell for 10-15x the price of a repro. 

Take every reproduction chrome molding for example...No, seriously...TAKE them, you cannot in good conscience even want to GIVE them away once you see how they DO NOT fit!

Besides body work, 'everything CHROME' has cost me the most I my project!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:41:08 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 09:39:36 PM »

Maybe it's just me....NOS or not... I would'nt trust a 50+ year old Ford Rubber Windshield Gasket...Even NOS in the box.  I've seen too many old Originals fail.. Now if it was a NOS Ford Service replacement part made in the late 90's or early 2000's... I might take the risk...and use some sort of rubber conditioner on the rubber before installation. Otherwise, I'd just use a U.S. made Daniel Carpenter Reproduction.. I've never had a problem with them....then again I've only installed them on Convertibles... I've never had to worry about the Hardtop/Fastback Stainless steel trim on the top or the sides... Just my take...

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 10:17:56 PM »
The only new gaskets that have failed for me were repro... cracking in the corners is the worst issue.

Never had any problems with NOS Ford.

Offline jevo

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »
I ordered the rubber seals for where the door windows seal against the car. Not happy with them. They appear to be a bit short in length thus they don't stay in place and they are nowhere near the density of original Ford rubber. Are there other options? Car is 67 Fastback. A guy I've run into (Armond Di Agostini) says when replacing glass make sure the window contractor seals the glass with butel (sp) and not silicone.

Joel