Author Topic: '66 fastback squeaky rear shock  (Read 930 times)

Offline socalgt

'66 fastback squeaky rear shock
« on: August 18, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »
I duplicated the squeak noise heard while driving by rotating the body of the right rear shock, so  I assume that is the source.  I tried tightening the lower nuts and lubricating the rubber bushings.  So far the noise is still there.  Does this indicate a failure in the shock, or just that it is not tight enough to resist moving and causing the noise?.  (I haven't tried to tighten the upper mount since I believe it is quite involved to expose the mount under the rear seat)

Offline jwc66k

Re: '66 fastback squeaky rear shock
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »
(I haven't tried to tighten the upper mount since I believe it is quite involved to expose the mount under the rear seat)
Guess what you're going to have to do?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 07:40:21 PM »
Guess what you're going to have to do?
Jim
;D  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 08:11:54 PM »
Not what I wanted to hear...but...thanks.  At least the shocks look new and clean, so there won't be any frozen fasteners to deal with.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 08:53:59 PM »
............... (I haven't tried to tighten the upper mount since I believe it is quite involved to expose the mount under the rear seat)

Not really but goes allot better with two people. One to hold the shock and one to tighten it. Just lay the fold down - down Pull the rear fold down panel and get it from there. Only four screws and you'll have access to the rubber oval covers if the last person put them back in place.

Easier IMHO than doing a 69-70 with a non-fold down  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline socalgt

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »
You're right, it was quite easy....just removed the rear screws on the chrome mounts and the two forward.  It now appears the squeak is actually coming from the forward leaf spring busing.  I'm trying to spray some silicone lubricant in and around the bushing hoping it will work its' way in and silence it.

Thanks...

Offline socalgt

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 09:01:47 PM »
I tried rotating the spring mounting bolt slightly, without holding on to the nut so as not to tighten it....the squeak completely stopped....hey, you have to get lucky once in a while working on these cars.