Author Topic: Fastback trunk hinge - Feb 65 NJ  (Read 929 times)

Offline kb65

Fastback trunk hinge - Feb 65 NJ
« on: September 22, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »
The pass side trunk hinge on my Feb NJ fastback seams to be missing a bushing where the torsion bar goes through the hinge.
the hole in the 1-22 dated hinge is 3/8 the rod 1/4.

I have a 3-24 dated hinge that has a 1/4 hole.
did they eliminate the bushing in the later hinge?

thanks
ken

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:52:21 PM by J_Speegle »
ken

Offline Murf

Re: feb 65 fastback trunk hinge
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 01:11:40 AM »
Our fastback with a scheduled build date of 3 - 22 - 65 has the larger opening and I feel that at some time long ago had that tiny plastic bushing there, and for the last 34 years I have looked for that little gizmo with no luck.  I have only seen one car in my life with that bushing, a 65 Shelby belonging to a man named Stein (Spelling?) that had been done by Bob Perkins. To the best of my knowledge no one has ever reproduced that tiny plastic bushing and very very few folks even know they were ever used.  Much like finding the mythical Unicorn. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline kb65

Re: feb 65 fastback trunk hinge
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »
murf,

what is used on your car to retain the rod?
Mine has a clip and a hole for a cotter pin

ken
ken

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fastback trunk hinge - Feb 65 NJ
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 06:45:18 PM »
The bushing in the passenger side fastback trunk hinge was was used on all fastbacks of a certain period. It appears that the engineers finally figured out it was unnecessary and it was deleted and a smaller hole was used in the hinge for the rod to pass through. 

Using the search feature here I found a number of threads covering the subject and with pictures.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4238.msg23447#msg23447

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7839.msg44936#msg44936

So the answer to your question is yes they did away with the use the question (depends on the assembly plant) is when for each plant and 65 NJ have been difficult to figure out IMHO since fewer cars survived and fewer were made there

The last post in one of the threads above offers a possible replacement and where to find it.  I can't vouch for how good it is - never order or needed one

Hope this helps

As for the end retainer - the hole and the pin or cotter key has normally been thought as a fix applied after the assembly line but there are a fair number of cars done this way. Haven't found a TSB article instructing the dealers to add/make this alteration. Looked at my pictures and the very few 65 fastbacks I have with a picture of that area are appear to use the serrated washer and not a clip or pin through the rod
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:59:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kb65

Re: Fastback trunk hinge - Feb 65 NJ
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »
Thanks

That bushing might work but it would not stay in position.

I found a friend that has one almost intact I will try to get measurements maybe it can get some made on a lathe.

Sounds to me like they were used from the start of fastback production till sometime in march of 65

ken
ken