Author Topic: Quarter panel ornament/ rocker molding delete question  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Bglover67

• 1965 Factory GT Convertible
Quarter panel ornament/ rocker molding delete question
« on: September 10, 2017, 08:04:37 AM »
I've got a 1965, 'A' code, 4 speed, pony interior convertible that I'm trying to figure out how it looked when it was first delivered.  It has all it's original sheetmetal having spent it's entire life in Nevada.  The car is not a factory GT, but the both the quarter panels and lower rocker panels have not been been drilled into.  I understand that 65's didn't receive the quarter panel ornament if 1) it was factory GT, 2) it was a fastback, 3) it received the 'c' pinstripe option.  When was the rocker molding deleted? 

Thanks,

Brian
Sincerely,

Brian

SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Offline 196667Bob

Re: Quarter panel ornament/ rocker molding delete question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »
While 65's aren't my "specialty", I believe that for 1965, the Rocker Panel Moldings were an Option on all models, and came either by themselves, or with the "Accent Stripe/Rocker Panel Molding Package.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 12:49:31 PM »
The quarter panel trim was deleted in 66 just like 65. If you have the dele and rocker moldings it would have the pinstripe . It's the Exterior Decore group option.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 02:03:31 PM »
I think some clarification by documentation is in order here. The 1965 Sales Brochure dated 4/65 notes that "Rocker Panel Moldings are Standard on Fastbacks" (although it doesn't say so, this would not include a GT Fastback). Yet in the Salesman's Price Book dated September 25, 1964, it notes that the "Accent Group" (not Exterior Décor Group) is $27.70 for Hardtops and Fastbacks, and $14.20 for Convertibles. In addition, it only shows the Rocker Panel Molding Option for Hardtops and Fastbacks. Thus, the Price Book implies that Rocker Panel Moldings came Standard with Convertibles ? Does anyone have any documentation to clarify this ?

Although the OP's question was in regard to 1965's, since 1966 was mentioned in a Reply, I think it would be good to clarify the same for 1966. All 1966 Models included Rocker Panel Moldings (except GT's of course). For 1966 the "Accent Stripe Option was available, but only included the deletion of the side quarter ornament and the addition of the pinstripe. Note that the price for this Option reflects this accordingly.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Bglover67

• 1965 Factory GT Convertible
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 09:16:32 PM »
Wow, those Salesman Price Books are awesome!  Thanks for posting.
Sincerely,

Brian

SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Offline rodster

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 10:02:59 PM »
I've got a 1965, 'A' code, 4 speed, pony interior convertible that I'm trying to figure out how it looked when it was first delivered.  It has all it's original sheetmetal having spent it's entire life in Nevada.  The car is not a factory GT, but the both the quarter panels and lower rocker panels have not been been drilled into.  I understand that 65's didn't receive the quarter panel ornament if 1) it was factory GT, 2) it was a fastback, 3) it received the 'c' pinstripe option.  When was the rocker molding deleted? 

Thanks,

Brian

Hey Brian,

Sounds like a very nice car!   Feel free to share some pictures!!!

Rod
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 12:07:20 PM »
The salesman price book could have been in error.  I would expect fastbacks to be the cheapest and coupe/convertible the same.

The accent group consisted of rocker panel moldings, deleted quarter ornament and a painted accent stripe along the sides, that could be color coordinated to the interior.

Brian: Is your car stripped to bare metal?  Could be that the car had quarter panels installed and the moldings not installed.  That would explain why there are no holes there or on the rocker panels.  I would expect your car to have quarter ornaments if no rocker moldings.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin