Author Topic: Worth the $$$?  (Read 4702 times)

Offline carguytroy

Worth the $$$?
« on: October 22, 2017, 05:55:30 PM »
Hello all. New guy here from Utah. I have an opportunity to pick up a 1967 convertible 390 car. It is disassembled and sitting on a frame jig. Most all the parts are there. The car was torn down, sandblasted, and pretty much stopped after that point. Needs a couple of places patched in the floor. The rear quarters have been cut off from the top Body edge down. The rest of it just has light surface rust all over it. The Marti report he has doesn’t say “one of one” anywhere on it or anything like that. Shows it was vintage burgundy with black interior, automatic, power brakes, power steering, open rear end. I’ve already committed to buy it and I’m kind of exited about the car. We settled on $3500.00, worth the dough you guys think?
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Worth the $$$?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 06:00:16 PM »
any pics?? can you complete it yourself??
5F09C331248

Offline carguytroy

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:36:18 PM by carguytroy »
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:03:29 PM »
Lost of money IMHO.  "worth the dough you guys think?"

As few questions for you

1- Do you have the dollars to complete the car?

2- Can you do most of the work yourself or are you going to farm out many of the tasks?

3- If doing it yourself or at your place. Do you have the room (will take up the space of three cars)? Do you have the tools and the skills?

4- Of course, since your posting here, we assume that your planning on restoring the car to a high level so what do you think its going to cost you and what will it be worth (count your time and effort also) when done?    And what could you buy a similar car for currently?

5- Guessing that since you purchased this car has been your dream car and your not going to mind it sitting in your garage for years and if you have a significant other they are on board with the space, time and $$$$'s

Interesting Marti report.  Non-GT 390 auto car. Not allot of "pop" in the finished product. Not that its bad, given the dark exterior, top and interior colors, just not going to stand out at a show given the colors.  Interesting amount of repair needed - not use to Salt Lake cars so don't know what is "normal" from that region of the US. Going to need to learn or find someone that know how to replace panels so they look like they have never been touched. In ways its unfortunate that the prior owner cut out the old panels - guessing they were not included with the car for at least their dates. Depending on just how much you got with the car (parts) you might consider looking for a late 67 San Jose coupe as a parts car.

Looks like it might have been used to tow a small boat around at some point.

BTW - Welcome to the site
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline carguytroy

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 08:33:42 PM »
I can do most everything myself. As I said I have never painted but have replaced a lot of sheet metal(almost all of it) on a 66 I have. I did think I would go concours with it. I thought any 390 car was somewhat desirable whether is was a GT or not. All the parts are supposed to be there. Just stripped. I’ve known the guy for years. He doesn’t have the time or money to do the car. Figured I’d take it from here.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 08:59:00 PM by carguytroy »
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

priceless

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 08:58:08 PM »
Hello all. New guy here from Utah. I have an opportunity to pick up a 1967 convertible 390 car. It is disassembled and sitting on a frame jig. Most all the parts are there. The car was torn down, sandblasted, and pretty much stopped after that point. Needs a couple of places patched in the floor. The rear quarters have been cut off from the top Body edge down. The rest of it just has light surface rust all over it. The Marti report he has doesn’t say “one of one” anywhere on it or anything like that. Shows it was vintage burgundy with black interior, automatic, power brakes, power steering, open rear end. I’ve already committed to buy it and I’m kind of exited about the car. We settled on $3500.00, worth the dough you guys think?
Yep, I think you made a great buy and an "investment". I say investment because #1, it's a big block convertible from the 67-68 Mustang era.  #2, It has a lot of parts that go with the car so that will save you. #3, And maybe the most important, as your description, it doesn't have hardly any rot which is HUGE in restoring any first Gen convertible BB Mustang.
#4, Lastly, If something happens down the road, personally or otherwise, IMO, you can still get your money plus an investment amount back. Big Block Convertible Mustangs from the 67-68 era are highly sought after, especially the conditon yours is in. There are a lot of people would be really excited, like you seem to be, that would love to have your future project.

Bottom line, Do it the way you want to do it.  Whether it's concours, occasional driven or a daily driver. We drive both our first gen Mustangs on a regular basis.  Coming here doesn't necessarily mean you're relegated to do it concours, but coming here you will get the right information just in case you go that direction.

Have fun and enjoy 8)

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »
Great buy in my opinion, I mean what can you buy for $3500!  :o

I guess you have a clear title and drive train?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

priceless

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 09:05:39 PM »
I can do most everything myself. As I said I have never painted but have replaced a lot of sheet metal(almost all of it) on a 66 I have. I did think I would go concours with it. I thought any 390 car was somewhat desirable whether is was a GT or not. All the parts are supposed to be there. Just stripped. I’ve known the guy for years. He doesn’t have the time or money to do the car. Figured I’d take it from here.
You may have meant "any 390 Mustang" was somewhat desirable whether a GT or not. That's what I'm thinking.

Because not all "390 cars" are desirable whether a GT or not.....

Welcome to the forum :) 8)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
................#3, And maybe the most important, as your description, it doesn't have hardly any rot which is HUGE in restoring any first Gen convertible BB Mustang.

Pictures and description show at least the quarter panels, outer wheel tubs, trunk floors and trunk drops are gone. No pictures of the main or other floors or rockers. Not sure if in your region this is "hardly any rot"   as usual, what is typical and expected is a regional thing and one of the reasons I've always learned to ask if there is ANY rust .......even what a seller might call "normal" since in some parts of the country I've learned that sellers might consider a car that needs full floors, quarters, trunk drops and some other panels as not worth mentioning.   Think at $3500 its a deal but where to go from here is the question since this does not look like its going to be inexpensive. 
Jeff Speegle

Offline carguytroy

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 09:35:15 PM »
You may have meant "any 390 Mustang" was somewhat desirable whether a GT or not. That's what I'm thinking.

Because not all "390 cars" are desirable whether a GT or not.....

Welcome to the forum :) 8)

Yes that’s what I meant. Didn’t think that they made that many 390 mustangs.
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline carguytroy

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 09:37:04 PM »
Great buy in my opinion, I mean what can you buy for $3500!  :o

I guess you have a clear title and drive train?

He lost the title so he is in the process of getting a duplicate. Told him I would buy it as long as the title came back clean and right. He had a police inspection done on the car last week then applied for the new title.
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline carguytroy

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 09:39:29 PM »
Pictures and description show at least the quarter panels, outer wheel tubs, trunk floors and trunk drops are gone. No pictures of the main or other floors or rockers. Not sure if in your region this is "hardly any rot"   as usual, what is typical and expected is a regional thing and one of the reasons I've always learned to ask if there is ANY rust .......even what a seller might call "normal" since in some parts of the country I've learned that sellers might consider a car that needs full floors, quarters, trunk drops and some other panels as not worth mentioning.   Think at $3500 its a deal but where to go from here is the question since this does not look like its going to be inexpensive.

Compared to my 66 this is a clean one owner. The 66 was my learning car. Learned way more than I really wanted too but I found out I really love welding.
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline carguytroy

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 09:53:23 PM »
Should I get another Marti report?
1967 S code Convertible
Build Date 7-1967
San Jose
Vintage Burgundy

1967 C Code Convertible
Build date 7-1967
San Jose
White

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 10:23:30 PM »
Should I get another Marti report?

Got one with the information you will need restoring it, don't see why you would.  Facts aren't going to change and you'll just get figures that say its a one of one.
Jeff Speegle

priceless

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
LOLOL. I knew you'd come back and say something to my post.....LOL, never fails!!! 
He said in his OP, other than a few patches in floor and needing quarters, just surface rust. I'm sure the man is smart enough to see rot in the main chassis and frame railing and assume he would've mentioned it. Just going by what he said.  Carguytroy seems to have been in this situation before and i'm sure he knows what he's up against. He seems to be a pretty smart guy ;)
Good Day, J_Speegle
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:42:38 PM by priceless »