Author Topic: 67 SJ Fastback -- interior metal surfaces paint  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
67 SJ Fastback -- interior metal surfaces paint
« on: October 25, 2017, 11:08:44 PM »
A PO did some work on the floor and decided to spray the entire interior metal surfaces black.

I'm redoing all the seams on the underside, so I decided to redo them on the inside.
While there, I broke out the sander and sanded through or scuffed all of the black paint put there by the previous owner.

I assume for my March SJ fastback that the interior (as well as the exterior) was done in red oxide. For this car it was a strong red oxide. After the dash was painted the interior was flooded with primer and body color from the exterior paint job.

I'd like to see some unmolested bare interiors of fastbacks and I hope you guys have some pictures to share.

I did find some Dearborn pictures here  http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16088.0 and wonder if those pictures apply to SJ?
I have a fondness for Rustoleum and will use their stainless paint for bare steel in the appropriate normally unseen areas.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:06:22 AM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 SJ Fastback -- interior metal surfaces paint
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 06:31:02 AM »
...I did find some Dearborn pictures here  http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16088.0 and wonder if those pictures apply to SJ?
I have a fondness for Rustoleum and will use their stainless paint for bare steel in the appropriate normally unseen areas.

If you read along that thread, you will find that Jeff mentioned (twice were of a SJ coupe, and at least one other of a FB I think) the images provided were from San Jose examples. The interior overspray patterns would be typical of all body types, pretty much the same at all three assembly plants in my understanding of all I have read (and seen) over the years.

(Also, you will note that we never did here what brand/type of "stainless steel paint" was used to replicate bare steel under the top overspray details)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:35:20 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:50:31 AM »
Yeah I read it but there was a fair amount of jumping around from car to car. You guys keep telling me plant is very important and for SJ we have two definitive time periods.
The topic was Dearborn, yet none of the pics were of Dearborn cars. So all plants did the interior the same way? That's a first!

I'd still like to see more fastback detail pics, especially the rear.

One other detail. I'd like to verify that the clips that hold the interior panels around the rear window were installed after the red oxide as in the last picture. I see red oxide under my clips but it's very, very faint. These clips would be dipped black and the screws would be phosphate? I know these will not be seen, but at this stage, why not do it right?

As for the natural look paint, that's from another forum(s). In places where you can't really see well, but still need a natural steel look Rustoleum stainless is one of the most mentioned paints.

By the way, on fastbacks there is a 3 screw attachment clip on the B-piller that has two screws that attach to the body horizontally. Make sure when putting this back on that you use the large flat head phillips horizontally and not the round head phillips.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:56:45 AM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 03:11:08 PM »
I assume for my March SJ fastback that the interior (as well as the exterior) was done in red oxide. For this car it was a strong red oxide. After the dash was painted the interior was flooded with primer and body color from the exterior paint job.

Disagree primer before interior color

I'd like to see some unmolested bare interiors of fastbacks and I hope you guys have some pictures to share.

Will go through my pictures and post Will not guantee all will be unmolested but will crop to keep it to a minimum and point them out. PO's do allot of odd things over the years to their cars

One other detail. I'd like to verify that the clips that hold the interior panels around the rear window were installed after the red oxide as in the last picture. I see red oxide under my clips but it's very, very faint. These clips would be dipped black and the screws would be phosphate? I know these will not be seen, but at this stage, why not do it right?

Your conclusions and findings match mine in this area

As for the natural look paint, that's from another forum(s). In places where you can't really see well, but still need a natural steel look Rustoleum stainless is one of the most mentioned paints.

Watch for some pictures
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 04:52:25 PM »
Disagree primer before interior color

I knew better.
There is a thread which has the correct order and it says:
"1a.   The underside of the car was sprayed with gun fixtures first, then the rest of the car was hand done where necessary. After that, sealer primer (usually gray) was used on all exterior facing surfaces, all pot metal pieces were only primed with sealer primer.
2. Interior color . . . "

Although the PO really "enhanced" the floors and rear of the car, he didn't get to my dash top!
The light gray primer/sealer on my dash top aligns with the sequence above.

Using that sequence, this picture shows a number of different paint processes and colors:

Red oxide on the top of the dash, followed by a light dusting of gray body primer/sealer.
A mask appears to be used to shield the dash top during the front of the dash's paint job -- the breakover to the left of the eyebrow has a hazy line indicating something was keeping the dash color paint below here.
Later a different mask is used as indicated by the Line Gold paint. This mask had to shield the entire dash during color coat.

It can also be seen here that although the 65/6 cars required paint on the A-pillers as they were visible and not covered, the 67/8s had a cover, so this was no longer required. Was it always done? Jeff shows it was in certain pictures. But mine:

has only some red oxide followed by a light coat of primer/sealer with a small amount of Lime Gold at the base.

Looking forward to more pictures, Jeff.
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 07:15:46 PM »
Here are some examples from my collection

Dash & A Pillar area with defroster black out

Roof example - pretty much red oxide

Floor examples Strong body color typically since all the heavy overspray and paint would float and settle downward. Less as we get away from large openings and direction of application

Rear section of the interior fastback
Remember these are used cars and some of the itmes may have replaced or repaired over time. Focus on the subject they were posted for

Quarter panel has been replaced

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 10:35:08 PM »
Thank you, Jeff!

Those pictures sure run the scale from some paint to lots of paint.
The first picture after the heading Floor examples looks very much like a picture I have of this area from the PO of my car.
I also appreciate you drilling in on Shelbys.
The side vent area and the entire trap door area pics were especially useful.
The second to last picture of the white Shelby is what most closely approximates areas where I've sanded through the paint. It was hard to picture just how things faded in and out. I've got it now.
I'll try not to replicate the dryer vent hose on my rear brakes, however.

Hopefully others also find this useful.

Bill