Author Topic: Is this how to decode sheet metal?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Is this how to decode sheet metal?
« on: November 19, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »
After researching the "trick" to decoding the alpha/numeric symbols stamped in the sheet metal of my 1965 Mustang, I prepared this memo to myself.  I would appreciate  comments, corrections and additions from all the knowledgeable and experienced folks on this great forum:

Note:  The codes do not denote the year, so it’s generally assumed that the year is the same as the year of the car the sheet metal is on.

Here’s how to decode a typical date stamp on a 1965 Mustang’s sheet metal:

4   15    B2

The 4 is the month (April is this sample)

The 15 is the day of the month (15th in this sample)

The B is the plant where the piece was made (Buffalo, N.Y. in this sample)

The 2 is the shift that produced it (In this case it was the second shift)

Here are the codes for the various plants where sheet metal was produced:

A=Chicago, Ill.
B=Buffalo, N.Y.
C=Cleveland, Ohio
D=Dearborn, Michigan
M=Monroe, Michigan
W=Woodhaven, Michigan

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Is this how to decode sheet metal?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »
i think you have it down perfect. sometimes though there is no shift code. not sure why.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 01:10:51 PM »
i think you have it down perfect. sometimes though there is no shift code. not sure why.
A single shift per day would not have a shift code.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 01:30:02 PM »
After researching the "trick" to decoding the alpha/numeric symbols stamped in the sheet metal of my 1965 Mustang, I prepared this memo to myself.  I would appreciate  comments, corrections and additions from all the knowledgeable and experienced folks on this great forum:

Note:  The codes do not denote the year, so it’s generally assumed that the year is the same as the year of the car the sheet metal is on.

Here’s how to decode a typical date stamp on a 1965 Mustang’s sheet metal:

4   15    B2

The 4 is the month (April is this sample)

The 15 is the day of the month (15th in this sample)

The B is the plant where the piece was made (Buffalo, N.Y. in this sample)

The 2 is the shift that produced it (In this case it was the second shift)

Here are the codes for the various plants where sheet metal was produced:

A=Chicago, Ill.
B=Buffalo, N.Y.
C=Cleveland, Ohio
D=Dearborn, Michigan
M=Monroe, Michigan
W=Woodhaven, Michigan
You might try the Library under specific years for a topic "Date Codes - Decoding Date Codes" by someone on the forum.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 04:53:01 PM »
As Jim mentioned I think you'll find the Article posted in the Library helpful - that's why it was written an posted.   ::)

46 pages, with sixty two part types decoded, with lots of pictures and illustrations to help Takes a whil;e to load given the size but worth the wait

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Tiny

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 09:49:25 PM »
Hi all, I have a 66 GT Coupe with body stamps indicating the metal was made/stamped at Dearborn. My car's VIN said it was made in San Jose.  Is it the case that the manufacture of various body parts from the different locations would be distributed to other assembly locations?

thanks
67 San Jose Built GTA 390 Coupe
C6, PS, A/C

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 09:53:08 PM »
yes you are correct. there were at least 6 stamping plants. chicago, buffalo, cleveland, dearborn, monroe mi. and woodhaven ohio.
5F09C331248

Offline Tiny

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 10:16:11 PM »
great thank you
67 San Jose Built GTA 390 Coupe
C6, PS, A/C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 11:06:59 PM »
Hi all, I have a 66 GT Coupe with body stamps indicating the metal was made/stamped at Dearborn. My car's VIN said it was made in San Jose.  Is it the case that the manufacture of various body parts from the different locations would be distributed to other assembly locations?

thanks

Certain stamping plants were set up to stamp or preassemble sub assembles each was assigned to be the supplier to certain Ford, Lincoln and Mercury plants  (lot more than just the three that made Mustangs) and then overflow or as needed to other plants. Because of this you can see patterns of where certain body panels came from for San Jose (for example) during different parts of the production year - establishing a pattern or trend
Jeff Speegle

Online 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 06:28:33 AM »
yes you are correct. there were at least 6 stamping plants. chicago, buffalo, cleveland, dearborn, monroe mi. and woodhaven ohio.

The last one listed is Woodhaven Michigan, not Ohio.  The Woodhaven and Dearborn stamping is still in production, but Monroe closed about 10 years ago.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline evantugby

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
Is it appropriate to assume sheet metal dates should precede the car's build date by apprx 2 months? 
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »
Is it appropriate to assume sheet metal dates should precede the car's build date by apprx 2 months?

Normally 'up to' 2 months would be a better assumption.  Some pieces could precede farther back.  There's no hard rule. 

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 03:00:50 PM »
Normally 'up to' 2 months would be a better assumption.  Some pieces could precede farther back.  There's no hard rule.

+1 

When it comes to panels its best to look at other original unrepaired cars from the same plant and time period for examples of what was in supply at that point when you can.  Trends show up all the time some are pretty narrow while others are wider in dates but it does help
Jeff Speegle