Author Topic: Rubber straps that support A C hoses to cowl brace?  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Murf

Rubber straps that support A C hoses to cowl brace?
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »
Used the search feature,with no results.  Any information on the rubber straps that are used to support the air conditioner hoses - and maybe other items too? - that are found on the cowl braces?  They have little odd brass pointed rivets and a selection of holes about 1/8 inch in diameter, sort of a primitive tie wrap in design.  How many are found on a factory AC car, and has anyone found a substitute for them.  Purchased some from AMK but they broke almost immediately.  Seemed to not like the underhood heat.  Any photos of them installed would be apreciated,  and do they support other wires in addition to the Ac hoses?  Looking for something tougher than the AMK reproductions but still with correct appearance.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline 67gta289

Re: Rubber straps that support A C hoses to cowl brace?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:19:37 PM »
I did a search on the word "strap" and came up with a few hits - give that a try.  I don't have any pictures to post myself. John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:46:10 PM »
John, I feel your pain on the AMK straps but as far as I know they are the only one that makes them

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:55:07 PM »
John - the car your building was built where?   Never seen the thin rubber straps that AMK sells (or any thing close to them) on an original 67-68 San Jose car

Just a comment that may or not apply to your search ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Murf

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »
The car in question is a SJ build.  I have no clue if they were ever there, but know that something must have held the AC lines to the cowl to shock tower brace.  I saw the little straps for sale and thought maybe this is what was used.  Whatever was used in manufacturing was long gone!  I would like something correct and functional,and appreciate any advice.  Using "tie wraps" now.  Oh, the build date is April 03, 68, 302 with AC and swing away wheel, PS and PB.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 04:39:18 PM »
I hate those darn straps, but my coupe did have them.  I finally made four wider fabric straps, sewed velcro on them, and use them to support the weight of the a/c hoses on the brace.  I use them all the time, especially when the car is bouncing along in the trailer.  I can drive with them on there, if I want to.  They really have extended the life of those pricey straps.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline Oz390

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »
Are the referenced straps from AMK the set of 4 that NPD sells for $20?  Just organizing an order to add factory AC to a 68 and was going to buy them but if they are as bad as it sounds, and they will just fail, I'll avoid them....

Any info appreciated.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline Murf

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 09:54:09 PM »
So the SJ plant did not use these rubber straps in 68 on factory A C cars?  What was used to retain the A C hoses?  I have had such bad luck with these little straps, they have failed  (two sets) after a short time.  I hope that SJ cars had a more substantial method of retaining the hoses and if so then my sorrow goes out to those of you who must use them.  I had considered making some out of something tougher but will put that project on hold and see if this discussion develops and sheds light on other means of suspending the hoses. OZ390. As far as ordering them, my advice is to save your money and fabricate your own from a shaved and properly cut serpentine belt or some other material.  The only part of the AMK straps that seem to be worthwhile are the brass colored rivets with the point on them that hold the strap together.
John Murphy

Offline Oz390

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 03:38:03 AM »
Thanks, with that $20 shaved off the two S code restorations I can now justify buying a new project car!  ;D
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:39:57 PM »
So the SJ plant did not use these rubber straps in 68 on factory A C cars?  What was used to retain the A C hoses?  ................

John - I'm caught between two shows ( with a day or two between) and my son's graduation from boot camp next week. Not ignoring the discussion - will get to it when I can find the time to research it as it should be ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Murf

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 05:34:25 PM »
Looking foward to any information from those of you on the "left" coast as to the use of these little rubber straps (or an acceptable substitute).  The Osborn assembly manual showsthem and notes the assigned hardward number, but that is only a snapshot of what was in use the day that page of the assembly manual was published.  Any original SJ cars with this rubber strap still intact, or perhaps a service advisory campaign to replace them with something more substantial?  Also did the Shelbys use this same device?  Thanks in advance for any information.
John Murphy

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 10:35:26 PM »
Saw a original unrestored  68 Dearborn convert built in Jan of 68 where these straps where white. One on front of drivers shock tower and one lower on the side next to motor mount. No ac on this car but the ps lines ran through them. My 68 vert doesn't have ac but I had one strap on front of shock tower. Another 289 vert I had long ago also had the strap but no ac. That was a metuchen car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 01:12:09 AM »
Ok checked my picture collection of 68 San Jose built cars for any remains or indications of retainers on the shock tower supports - especially for the spring time period with AC. Little over 2000 pictures to review ;) - And checked the SJ built Cougars also

1- Found examples with the rubber dipped steel hose wrap (as used in the following years) that hold the two lines together in the engine compartment. Lots of examples of this use

2- A few examples with nylon ties but believe all were added by owners - saw white, black and orange :( ones

3- One of the rubber styled straps (that we've seen on cars from other plants) Drivers side AC hoses to support - car 8R01C12201x

That is all there was -
Jeff Speegle

Offline Murf

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »
What is the collective opinion of everyone about these little rubber straps?  Is it likely that those SJ cars built in the Spring of 68 had the AC hoses supported by the shock tower braces using the rubber straps? OR were they held by some other method.  Jeff mentioned the rubber coated alloy straps holding the two AC hoses together - were those hoses also attatched to the cowl braces with the rubber strapsor the alloy rubbber coated slotted ties?  Pictures of an unrestored original car?  Anybody? 
John Murphy

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 11:17:47 PM »
.............Jeff mentioned the rubber coated alloy straps holding the two AC hoses together - were those hoses also attatched to the cowl braces with the rubber strapsor the alloy rubbber coated slotted ties?  Pictures of an unrestored original car?  Anybody?

Those mettal (with rubber coating) were common and used on many of the Ford products in 68- through the 70's The only held the lines to each other - keeping everything neat ;)
Jeff Speegle