Author Topic: Manufacturer of Convertible Top Glass  (Read 660 times)

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
Manufacturer of Convertible Top Glass
« on: December 19, 2017, 01:24:14 PM »
Hi,
Does anyone know which type of top glass is shown in below picture? Manufacturer?
Seems (at least to me) sealing line is different to most of aftermarket parts I have seen so far.
Which colour available represents most the white original? Pinpoint vinyl>> FORD white, GM white, Brite white, Bone, Oxford white, or none of them?

Another question in this respect. Is it really needed to unzip glass window before opening top?

Thx
Ralf

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:56:39 PM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Manufacturer of Convertible Top Glass
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 04:27:50 PM »
The original marking should be CORNING

Yes, the rear window ought to be unzipped to relieve stress on the top when it goes into the well.  Otherwise, you risk pinching or other issues.

Can't help on the colors other than 65-66 was an off-white and 67-8 a bit more plain white.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Manufacturer of Convertible Top Glass
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »
The original marking should be CORNING

Yes, the rear window ought to be unzipped to relieve stress on the top when it goes into the well.  Otherwise, you risk pinching or other issues.

Can't help on the colors other than 65-66 was an off-white and 67-8 a bit more plain white.
To add, the aftermarket and service tops are PPG marked typically.PPG got the ford contract in 1971 I believe. So it has been that long. If you wanted Corning you will have to find a used rear glass have it re seamed in the middle then have it sewed into the top. I once had a glass Co (OEM glass now gone) etch the Corning trademark into a new replacement glass.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby