Author Topic: drum brake components: reuse?  (Read 4243 times)

Offline evantugby

drum brake components: reuse?
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:52:05 PM »
Gents,
Are you guys typically reusing these components for the drum brakes? Or are you replacing them? I have no way to tell if they are original or not, can you guys?

The far left item (parking brake lever) does say FoMoCo and KH 47855 so perhaps original...?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:54:54 PM by evantugby »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: drum brake components: reuse?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 06:04:13 PM »
i have reused those many times. cleaned up lubed & installed.
5F09C331248

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:07:34 PM »
Looks just like the ones I just removed from my '67, even has the backwards wound 'black' anchor spring, (forwards wound anchor springs are light blue).
I just bought a new Bendix set to mix and match with my originals. They have some parts plated correctly, other parts are not. For example, the round discs are originally di-chromate as well as the auto adjuster arm. The replacements are both zinc plated. I'll likely send out these original adjuster arms and the replacement discs whenever I get a batch together of similar needs. If that day doesn't arrive, they are going in as zinc (easy enough to fix later if I choose).
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline evantugby

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 06:22:29 PM »
I just cleaned up my other parking brake lever and it says Bendix on it, not KH. So obviously one side has been replaced.

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:33:11 PM »
A mix of Bendix and K/H brake assemblies has been documented as original to some cars:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17383.msg109550#msg109550

You should know this before throwing anything out.
Kurt.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline evantugby

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 11:04:11 PM »
A mix of Bendix and K/H brake assemblies has been documented as original to some cars:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17383.msg109550#msg109550

You should know this before throwing anything out.
Kurt.

This is great to know.  Good piece of information. 

Offline bgp429

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 10:00:17 PM »
One anchor pin looks bent. my2c, you can use it over. Just inspect for wear and excessive rust. The washers that hold the anchor spring sometimes get wear in the slot. The anchor kits should be available.

Drop the return springs on a concrete floor. If they sound like a spring they are stretched, If they don't go twang they are usable. Usually you can see light between the coils if they are bad.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 11:17:01 PM »
Bendix and Kelsey Hayes were the Original suppliers...

You can re-use everything EXCEPT: The shoe anchor pins (Look like pins), the shoe anchor pin retainers (Look like small metal discs), and the Self adjuster cable.  None of these three items are safe to re-use IMHO...  Just unscrew the self adjuster and re-grease it, and clean all the rest of the parts in a parts cleaner or use a good brake cleaner.

I always re-use my original self adjusters because the self adjusters that they make today are total crap and never correctly fit the brake shoes. The slots in them are never wide enough.  I have called multiple manufacturers to complain about the problem.  Other than that, You just order a New Combi-Kit to replace the other parts.  Keep the original metal brake bar with spring and just clean it and re-grease it.

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline evantugby

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 07:28:00 AM »
Thank you everybody. I will report back once I have everything assembled back together. 

Offline tvor

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 04:55:26 PM »
I would recommend replacing the springs.  Age and heat can degrade the spring metal.  Many auto parts stores sell hardware kits that include springs, hold down pins and washers for less than $10 (Kit is for both wheels for front or back)
Don't forget to look at the backing plate to see if there are grooves on the raised bosses.  If there is, braze then up and file them flat so that the shoes do not hang up
'65 Coupe, built in San Jose.
289 CID with C4 trans.
Door plate date of 9/11/64
Original owner - mom
Second owner - me!

Offline evantugby

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 08:49:38 PM »
Gents,
Thanks for the inspiration! All components look to be reusable.

I used evaporust, a wire wheel for the toughest muck, brake clean and closest-color paint I could find (note: dupli-color is pontiac-blue), then sprayed components with boeshield.

Evan
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:51:42 PM by evantugby »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 10:09:21 PM »
Spring colors look good.  Those pin spring cups and the lower spring bracket would be gold color (zinc w/dichromate), the cable slide zinc plated.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 07:21:08 AM »
I would agree that the Green, Yellow & Light Blue look great. I was thinking the black is too flat though.

Referring to only one other original example and reading another post on the spring colors (with a picture and comments showing/stating what springs and what parts are painted or plated this or that), I am also thinking only one anchor pin spring each side is blue, the other is black.

Obviously, my sample pool is very small and others who do this regularly are better informed than I (such as Charles who has already commented), but the image shared in the other thread conflict with the image and color application posted here.

Perhaps there are assembly date variances in play I am not aware of?

ALSO: What color were the anchor pins? Zinc (silver)? Or Zinc Dichromate (gold)?

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
I believe the other thread shows a pic of the K convertible I restored, but thought I replied that a couple of the finishes were wrong?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 01:33:40 PM »
I believe the other thread shows a pic of the K convertible I restored, but thought I replied that a couple of the finishes were wrong?

Correct.I am not 100% sure how any differences discussed there relate to the OP's example but noticed some discrepancies.
Richard Urch