Author Topic: '65 steering shaft/box removal  (Read 670 times)

Offline socalgt

'65 steering shaft/box removal
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
As they cannot be separated......looking for a definitive answer as to whether it can be removed from the engine side without  removing a motor mount, raising the engine or other undesirable actions.  I'd like to replace it with a box/shaft for power steering.  I don't want to get half way through the project and  be sorry I started.  Hoping someone has done it with the car on jack stands only, without removing the items mentioned.  The car is stock, with manual steering box currently.

Thank You

Offline rockhouse66

Re: '65 steering shaft/box removal
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 08:45:21 AM »
I am pretty sure the shop manual details the process and, just from memory, I don't think the parts you mentioned need to be removed.

In other words, look in the shop manual for your definitive answer.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »
I do think you have to remove the driver's side valve cover.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »
To be honest, in this case, I'd rather have input from someone who has actually done it rather than a procedure in the shop manual.  I will, however, check it and see what it says.

Thanks...

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »
There are 2 ways for a V8.

1-Loosen motor mount and jack the engine up for clearance, unbolt the box and pull it out from underneath.  Will need the car up in the air a ways, preferably on a lift.

2-Remove the driver seat, unbolt the column from the dash and slide the tube off.  Unbolt the steering box and pull it up out of the engine bay.  It's been a while since I did one that way, I don't recall if the LH strut brace has to come off or not.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Building 3

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »
We removed the driver's seat. We did not have access to a lift that could be put out of commission for a long period of time, so we went this route. (Take out the box, send it off to be rebuilt, get it back, put it back in, etc.) This may might not have been the easiest, but given our circumstances it worked out well.  We went slowly but surely.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 06:30:59 PM »
The boxes are not that difficult to rebuild, the kit is around $75.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin