Author Topic: 68 Dearborn 390 Build Sheet - paint mark codes  (Read 4446 times)

Offline 68 S Code

68 Dearborn 390 Build Sheet - paint mark codes
« on: October 03, 2010, 07:52:24 PM »
Is there anyone out there with a 1968  S Code Dearborn Build Sheet that they would like to share. My July built 68 convert did not come with one  and I don't remember seeing one in my old S code 68 SJ Fastback. I do have a copy of a 68 Metuchen built convert but that was a C code car so I don't think that much would apply to my dearborn car. I will share any info off the Metuchen C code I have if anyone needs it. I can scan it and e-mail it to you if you PM me.  Thanks
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:37:32 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 68 S Code

Re: 68 Dearborn 390 Build Sheet
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:48:17 AM »
No one on this forum has a Dearborn build sheet fora 390 car?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:35:49 PM »
I may be wrong, but build sheets from Dearborn and San Jose are extremely rare items...usually not found at all.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 01:46:08 AM »
Have tons of Dearborn build sheets unfortunately not one for this application. The San Jose ones are the rare ones - basically because the workers there followed a different practice normally than the workers at the other plants
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:57:05 AM »
Jeff how different would a build sheet from a 68 1/2 cj be from a 390 gt suspension wise? I know someone with an original cj built 3 weeks before mine. Looking for markings for driveshaft, springs, shocks, etc. I would think a cj came with the competition handling package just like my gt.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 02:12:43 AM »
Jeff how different would a build sheet from a 68 1/2 cj be from a 390 gt suspension wise? I know someone with an original cj built 3 weeks before mine. Looking for markings for driveshaft, springs, shocks, etc. I would think a cj came with the competition handling package just like my gt.

Remember that the different body types (doubt that the CJ in question was a convertible) and options have an effect on things like spring markings

Now for the driveline specifically (NOT the other items) the S and the R code built at about the same time would use the same driveline so you might be able to use those marks if you have the same trans (auto or manual)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 11:31:52 AM »
Jeff you are correct the CJ is a fastback and mine is a convert. I might think that possibly shocks and springs could be differet because of overall weight but was the difference so great that they would use a different spring rate? Front suspension I would have to say is the same as tie rods, ps components, SMB-K gearbox etc would all be the same. Someone on the suspension section mentioned that tie rods were the same for 6 cyl, small blocks and big blocks. Now rear shocks could bedifferent because of the rear staggered design on a CJ. I've looked at some of the posts on rear springs and although no one has ever mentioned different numbers I guess I can go through the Master Parts Catalog to see if there were different springs (front and rear) available for the CJ and the 390. Both cars have the C6 auto trans.   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 02:09:04 PM »
Jeff you are correct the CJ is a fastback and mine is a convert. I might think that possibly shocks and springs could be differet because of overall weight but was the difference so great that they would use a different spring rate?

That different springs for different applications) tends to be typical in other years and examples so I believe the trend would be similar in this one

Front suspension I would have to say is the same as tie rods, ps components, SMB-K gearbox etc would all be the same. Someone on the suspension section mentioned that tie rods were the same for 6 cyl, small blocks and big blocks.

All of the tie rods are the same that year between the different engine sizes - difference is PS or non PS. But since the tie rods are not marked with identification marks it really does not help allot in your search ;)

Now rear shocks could bedifferent because of the rear staggered design on a CJ. I've looked at some of the posts on rear springs and although no one has ever mentioned different numbers

Must have missed my posts where I often ask for spring numbers to help identify what springs got installed (to help with paint marks on them) since there are a fair number of different ones used and Ford often changed what they put in different applications during the year so markings can change on the same car depending on when in the production year it was built. We even have examples where the common marks for a period were different slightly from the buildsheets

I guess I can go through the Master Parts Catalog to see if there were different springs (front and rear) available for the CJ and the 390. Both cars have the C6 auto trans.

Again that would show you what Ford sold dealers as replacements for those two applications at the time the catalog (which ever version you have) was printed. Often Ford, over the years, would combine different applications so that they didn't have to carry as many different items or fashioned a new replacement to cover more applications using a new or and old Ford part number

Don't know if this has come up in our discussion before - What are the numbers on your springs? In this way we can just get those marks figured out. Just a thought
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:01:34 PM »
Jeff, I thought that tie rods did get a paint daub on them.  At least the short outer ones.

I was prepping my original lower control arms for dipping and noticed yellow on the top of the ball joint stud. Not a lot of it left but definitely yellow. The other did not have it so I guess the question is would both have had a yellow daub/splotch on the top of the stud or one side yellow and the other? I presume it probably went down the threads but once bolted together at spindle the yellow on thread would have been cut off with nut. Have you seen yellow or another color before?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 12:42:34 AM »
Jeff, I thought that tie rods did get a paint daub on them.  At least the short outer ones.

Believe you are referring to installation (direction) marks that owners often place on those outer ones. Problem (for me) is that I have not found any of those on original San Jose cars as of yet - if we ever do.

I was prepping my original lower control arms for dipping and noticed yellow on the top of the ball joint stud. Not a lot of it left but definitely yellow. The other did not have it so I guess the question is would both have had a yellow daub/splotch on the top of the stud or one side yellow and the other? I presume it probably went down the threads but once bolted together at spindle the yellow on thread would have been cut off with nut. Have you seen yellow or another color before?

Yes we see all service replacement A arms having them but in this case we also have some examples on low  mileage San Jose cars also that we believe have not had theirs replaced so I would not deduct for this at a show.

You would also, typically, have identification marks on the tie rod (ID and direction) and the pitman arm (id only) as well as all the other (sway bar, shocks, springs, rearend, trans...) that we would expect
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 10:14:22 AM »
Jeff, I don't understand what you mean by "I'd and direction" for tie rod and Id at pitman    Arm. If you have a pic that might answer my question.
So the yellow on the lower ball joint was sprAyed or applied w a brush?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:36:20 PM »
Jeff, I don't understand what you mean by "I'd and direction" for tie rod and Id at pitman    Arm. If you have a pic that might answer my question.

Marks we find on the parts (in general) fall into a number of categories from what we understand

1- Assembler's markings - used on sub-assembles. Used to show who assembled the unit so that if a problem arose those sub-assembles could be identified

2- Inspector markings - used on sub-assembles. As the name implies these were the markings of an inspection (sometimes a subassemby can have multiple inspectors and/or assemblers marks)

3- ID or identification - those placed on the part or assembly to identify the part to the worker on line, so that they could quickly find and install the part on a face moving assembly line. These marks can also be found on individual parts so that workers assembling sub-assembles (example drive lines or steering) to speed their assembly also.

4- Orientation markings - these helped the worker to quickly orientate a sub-assembly or individual part in the car quickly. Not used on all parts or assembles only on certain sets or items.

Then there is a lot more types of markings but these above best cover the majority of the suspension items being discussed.

So the yellow on the lower ball joint was sprAyed or applied w a brush?

Brush reproduces the look IMHO the best

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 S Code

Re: 68 Dearborn 390 Build Sheet - paint mark codes
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
Jeff thanks for the explaination. Sounds awfully complicated to put marks on a car. Archeology type of work disassembling a car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 Dearborn 390 Build Sheet - paint mark codes
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 10:30:11 PM »
Jeff thanks for the explaination. Sounds awfully complicated to put marks on a car. Archeology type of work disassembling a car.

Yes - pretty much like any other research, you collect information, look at data and come to some form of conclusion, all the time continuing to collect and evaluate new information
Jeff Speegle