Author Topic: Rear frame rail reinforcement for dual exhaust cars 64 1/2 - 66  (Read 2810 times)

Offline mustangpedalcar

Rear frame rail reinforcement for dual exhaust cars 64 1/2 - 66
« on: November 14, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »
Question for the experts:

When did Ford start putting the reinforcement plate in the rear frame rail where the rear exhaust bracket mounts?  Was this with the start of GT production in 3/65?  We have K code cars (64.5 convertible mfg 7/64 and 65 fastback mfg 2/65) which DO NOT have this reinforcement. 

Would the early 65 shelby's have this reinforcement plate if they were made prior to 3/65?

thanks..
DL

Offline mustangpedalcar

Re: Rear frame rail reinforcement for dual exhaust cars 64 1/2 - 66
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:36:37 PM »
Another note...the frame rails are not the same on early 65 cars which would have had a transverse dual exhaust muffler.  The holes for mounting the dual exhaust hangers are farther forward and not in the same location as a post 3/65 GT car which would have had exhaust trumpets.

Maybe I answered my own question.  All 65 shelby's "pre GT" would have the early frame rails and therfore not the typical reinforcement plate we all look for to somewhat verify a factory dual exhaust car.

Comments??   Charles?  Bob?  Jeff?

thanks!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 06:45:03 PM »
The rear frame rail reinforcements, most typical of the GT exhaust system, would have first appeared sometime in March of '65.  The earlier Arvinode and transverse systems for K codes did not have the same rear hangers as the GT-style exhaust.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mustangpedalcar

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:33:58 PM »
Now a follow up question.  When did Ford decide to use a Drivers side rear leaf spring shackle with a bolt going each way to help clear the tailpipe/resonater?  My 65 K code (2/65) looks to be original and has the original rear leaf springs with correct numbers.  The bolts both go the same way on the drivers side spring shackle.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:35:59 PM »
I haven't been able to nail down a production period for those.  Maybe Jeff or someone else has.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mustangpedalcar

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:44:05 PM »
thanks Charles....what did you use on the K-convertible you just finished?  Shackle with bolts going the same way?