Author Topic: Front Disc Brake hoses  (Read 1411 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Front Disc Brake hoses
« on: April 17, 2011, 12:32:05 AM »
Well assembly is takiung place on the front end. After working through my most recent lower control arm issue (refinished and detailed a set of 67 lower control arms instead of the 68's) decided to hang the spinles and brakes. Everything was refinished over the winter so I figured assembly could go quickly. Well I forgot to work on the front brake hoses. When i pulled them out of the bag the brass fittings looked old and tarnished. The zinc chromate mounted plate also didn't look that good. So I decided to plug the holes and give them a dip in Evaporust. The bracket cleaned up nice and the brass fittings looked a little better but still need a little elbow grease and maybe some steel wool. Intresting thing I found. I thought there was a sort of green oxidation/tarnish in an area on both the fittings that attach to the caliper. Turns out its some sort of green paint stripe. But here is my dilema and the reason for the post. One of the rubbger hoses has the rubber jacket seperating/torn. I can see a braided line below so the rubber just acts as a shielding. Couldn't believe all the brake dust that had accumulated in the ribs of the rubber. Now they are clean but my concern is do I install the line with the torn rubber shield. It's torn at both ends close to the fitting. I plan to drive the car occasionally when done so is this a safety issue? I hate to replace them with repops because they have the C8AZ numbers stamped on the brass fitting. Don't think the number can be seen once installed though. Can the rubber line be replaced. Showed it to a guy at NAPA and he said that there is a hydraulic line company within 1/2 hours drive which could try to repair it but the crimped ends on the fittings might ba an issue. What do you guys recommend?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Front Disc Brake hoses
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:44:35 PM »
I'd recommend finding NOS Ford replacements.  If you can't find them, new reproductions would be the safest if you intend to drive the car at all.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 68 S Code

Re: Front Disc Brake hoses
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:53:15 AM »
Well I found another set of original hoses. Cosmetically not as nice (rusty bracket) but the rubber shield looks better. I will see what it will look like after a dip in Evapo. What is the finish of the bolts that hold the bracket to the frame at the steel line connection? Phoshate and oil?
The special bolt which makes connection to caliper cleaned up nicely in evaporust. It is still nicely plated in phoshate. One of them seems to have a silver daub. The other does not. Has anyone seen this before? The silver daub.