Author Topic: Restoring anodized trim  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Restoring anodized trim
« on: January 27, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
Is there a way to restore anodized trim like the rocker panel moldings? A friend of mine has a 68 galaxie and was wondering if he could get the grill pieces restored and I think they are anodized. Am I correct that the rocker panel moldings are made of aluminum and then anodized? Hood trim and trunk moldings on Mustangs?
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Online ruppstang

Re: Restoring anodized trim
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »
I looked in to re anodizing my rocker moulding but found the cost to be near the price of NOS pieces. Also if there are any deep nicks or pits they will show through the new anodizing. Marty

Offline dan green

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:27:24 AM »
It is possible to restore anodized aluminum trim pieces and yes it can be expensive.
The current anodizing has to be stripped.
The part is then repaired and polished.
And last it has to be re anodized.
I think on many parts the cost is worth having an original part that fits well rather than a "corvex" piece that usually does not fit very well and has to be bent and tweaked into place. 
On a mustang the cost of an NOS part may be less, I can't say for a galaxie.
I have had King Of Trim (www.kingoftrim.com/home) in California do some pieces for me and they turned out really nice.
I have also had Dave Kosmann (www.1960impala.com) in Caldwell Idaho do a few pieces and they also turned out very nice.
My dad and I are restoring a 1959 impala and those cars have a BOATLOAD of stainless and anodized aluminum parts, lucky mustangs have relatively limited trim.
The anodizing on aluminum can be tricky and if the person does not do it just right it comes out hazy.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
Brite dip anodizing I believe is the platers term used for the particular type of clear anodizing the trim received. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby